×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
17
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 26°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Spain ultimately sends the frigate “Cristóbal Colón” to Cyprus, the most modern ship of its Navy

The frigate will carry out “protection and air-defense” missions

Newsroom March 5 01:15

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Spain is sending the frigate “Cristóbal Colón” to the Eastern Mediterranean to protect Cyprus.

The frigate will escort the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle and Greek warships, following a drone attack on the British base at Akrotiri on the island.

The mission will include protection and air-defense operations, as well as assistance in the evacuation of non-military personnel, according to a statement from the Spanish Ministry of Defense.

According to the website El País, the “Cristóbal Colón”, the most modern vessel of the Spanish Navy, had initially been participating in naval operations in the Baltic Sea, but will now head toward the coasts of Crete, expected to arrive around March 10.

Yesterday, in a public address, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez stressed that Spain’s position is “no to war”, clarifying that the country “will not yield to pressure from the United States to support the war of the U.S. and Israel against Iran.”

What preceded

White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday during a press briefing that the Spanish “heard Trump’s message loud and clear yesterday” and that “they agreed to cooperate with the U.S. military.”

She added that “the U.S. military is coordinating with its counterparts in Spain.”

However, just minutes later, Spain’s Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares denied that there would be cooperation.
“Our position on the war and on the use of bases has not changed,” the minister stressed.

Trump’s remarks about Spain

On Tuesday, Donald Trump told reporters during a meeting with the German Chancellor Friedrich Merz that “Spain has behaved unacceptably.”

He added that he had asked Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent to “cut off all transactions” with the country.

“We don’t want to have anything to do with them,” he said.

“Spain has nothing we need except good people; they are nice people, but they don’t have nice leadership,” Trump added. He also complained that Spain resisted efforts to increase defense spending to 5% of GDP, as requested from NATO allies.


Statement from the Italian Defense Minister

The possibility of sending forces to Cyprus had earlier been revealed in the Italian parliament by Italy’s Defense Minister Guido Crosetto.

>Related articles

Budget: Primary surplus at €5.725 billion in the January–July 2026 period

Japanese rating agency R&I upgrades outlook for Greek economy from stable to positive

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

“During a meeting yesterday with my counterparts from Germany, the United Kingdom, Poland and France, we decided to establish permanent coordination between our defense ministries to monitor this crisis,” he said.

“Speaking with my Spanish counterpart and with the defense ministers of the countries mentioned, we agreed that within the EU it made sense to send a message of support to Cyprus. This means that Italy, France, the Netherlands and Spain will likely send security assistance to Cyprus.”

He added that Article 7 of the EU Treaty provides support to a member state under attack, and that naval units will be sent in the coming days to protect Cyprus.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#cyprus#french#frigate#greece#Ministry of Defense
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Budget: Primary surplus at €5.725 billion in the January–July 2026 period

August 17, 2026

Japanese rating agency R&I upgrades outlook for Greek economy from stable to positive

August 17, 2026

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

August 17, 2026

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

August 17, 2026

How Kim Jong Un circumvented sanctions and funneled up to $22 billion into Pyongyang’s coffers

August 17, 2026

Private helicopter crashes on Sifnos – Three passengers dead

August 17, 2026

Trump: “The primary objective was, is, and always will be to ensure that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon”

August 17, 2026

An Illegal immigrant attacked & raped for 20 minutes elderly man outside a church in London, claimed “I wanted to help him”

August 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα