×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
22
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 31°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Financial Times: Swimming lessons, Google Maps and wetsuits, how thousands of migrants swam into Ceuta

By Friday afternoon, Spanish authorities reported that around 48,300 of the roughly 60,000 people who swam into Ceuta this week had already returned voluntarily to Morocco, as officials confirmed almost all crossers had gone back

Newsroom August 1 10:42

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The mass entry of around 60,000 people into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on Thursday was no spontaneous act. According to the Financial Times, many of those who swam across the maritime border had spent weeks preparing, with reaching European territory as their sole aim.

This unprecedented migratory surge came just days after around 1,800 people had managed to enter Ceuta by swimming around the breakwater that separates Spanish territory from Morocco.

According to one Moroccan swimming instructor, several would-be migrants had taken lessons or taught themselves to swim, knowing the sea would be their only route into Europe.

Meanwhile, an informal support network sprang up on social media around the effort. Facebook groups carried adverts for flippers and wetsuits, while other users swapped information in Arabic on weather conditions, sea currents and the route to Ceuta’s Tarajal beach, often accompanying their posts with Google Maps screenshots.

Migrants flood into Spain's Ceuta exclave from Morocco.

Madrid says it will despatch soldiers to Ceuta to ensure security after thousands of migrants entered Spain's north African exclave from neighbouring Morocco and hundreds more are headed there pic.twitter.com/A9oaQ4OCu7

— AFP News Agency (@AFP) July 31, 2026

Social media and false promises

Spanish authorities are now trying to establish who was behind the messages that led tens of thousands of young people to gather in the Moroccan town opposite Ceuta before attempting the crossing.

Posts and messages were found on the phones of many migrants claiming that anyone who managed to swim to the Spanish side could obtain a residence permit, benefit from supposed legalisation procedures and then travel on to mainland Spain without difficulty.

Those promises proved false, but for thousands of young people with no work and no prospects, they were enough incentive to attempt the dangerous crossing.

Thousands of migrants have streamed into the tiny Spanish territory of Ceuta in North Africa from Morocco, prompting local officials to call for help from Spain’s national government in Madrid to restore the border. pic.twitter.com/S2fTWapBzR

— The Associated Press (@AP) July 30, 2026

The march to the sea

From the early hours of Thursday morning, thousands of people headed for the border from the Moroccan side. They arrived on foot, by bicycle, by car and even by lorry, causing traffic jams on the roads leading to the border line.

Rather than pass through customs, many descended steep slopes onto a narrow beach, which was overwhelmed with people within a short time.

Although the shortest distance to Ceuta is just a few hundred metres, overcrowding and strong sea currents forced many to swim far greater distances, remaining in the water for hours.

Spain said it reversed a huge rush of migrants into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta in North Africa, with most of the more than 50,000 people who had crossed the border by land and sea already heading back voluntarily https://t.co/LJrJGhIozZ pic.twitter.com/DIegyDxVe3

— Reuters (@Reuters) July 31, 2026

Scenes of chaos and tragedy

On the Spanish coast, arrivals emerged from the sea with leg injuries from the rocks. Officers of Spain’s Civil Guard (Guardia Civil), who had been deployed to guard the border, monitored the situation without obstructing migrants as they came ashore.

One striking image was of a man who reached land still carrying his bicycle, while others filmed their own crossing on mobile phones.

According to Spanish media, at least 57 people lost their lives at sea during the crossing.

From jubilation to disappointment

The wave of migrants who flooded into Ceuta, believing Spain would be an “open gateway” to opportunity, turned within just 24 hours from jubilation at reaching Spanish soil into disappointment and resignation, as thousands took the road back, watching their dream of a legal life in Europe collapse.

Many had spent the night in the open, wandered the streets in search of food and water, and realised there was none of the “easy access” to Europe they had been promised.

“They lied to us. Nobody wants us. It’s like a prison,” said one 18 year old Moroccan, echoing the frustration of many of his peers.

The reality after arrival

>Related articles

“Spain’s Mowgli”, Markos Rodríguez Pantoja, dies: the man who spent 12 years raised by wolves

Boat carrying 60 illegal immigrants arrives at a busy beach in Spain, causing panic among beachgoers (videos)

New attempt by migrants to enter Ceuta: Hundreds detained in Morocco

Many of those who reached Ceuta headed for the migrant reception centre, which had already exceeded capacity in previous days and remained closed. Several sat on the ground under the supervision of police and the Red Cross, awaiting the next development.

Despite the impression created by a recent ruling from Spain’s Supreme Court that those arriving by swimming cannot be immediately deported, Ceuta is not a free gateway into the rest of the European Union. Reaching mainland Spain requires passing new border checks.

More than 48,300 of the roughly 60,000 people who crossed en masse into Ceuta have now voluntarily returned to Morocco, retracing the route by which they entered, via the border breakwater. The EU’s Commissioner for Migration, Magnus Brunner, later said that “almost everyone” who had crossed the border had ultimately gone back.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Ceuta#deaths#financial times#migrants#Morocco#spain
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Greece’s West Nile virus cases surge, with eastern Attica hit hardest

August 22, 2026

What are Europeans studying today?

August 22, 2026

Greek Prime to unveil tax cuts and record debt reduction at Thessaloniki Fair

August 22, 2026

Budget camping holidays surge in popularity, with Chalkidiki occupancy hitting 95%

August 22, 2026

TikTok to pay US $400m over breach of child privacy law

August 22, 2026

“Spain’s Mowgli”, Markos Rodríguez Pantoja, dies: the man who spent 12 years raised by wolves

August 22, 2026

Petrounias claims rings bronze to reach 11 European medals

August 21, 2026

Madonna enchanted by Patmos: “I truly felt the presence of God”, see photos

August 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα