×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Ex-hostage Boyle charged with sex assault & confinement

Boyle & his wife with their three children were rescued last year in Pakistan, after the couple was abducted by a Taliban group while...backpacking in Afghanistan

Newsroom January 3 12:38

A Canadian man recently freed with his American wife and children after years being held hostage in Afghanistan has been arrested and faces at least a dozen charges including sexual assault, his lawyer said Tuesday

Attorney Eric Granger said Joshua Boyle also faces assault and forcible confinement charges.

Boyle, his wife Caitlan, and their three children were rescued last year in Pakistan, five years after the couple was abducted by a Taliban-linked militant group while on a backpacking trip in neighboring Afghanistan. The children were born in captivity.

A hearing on the case was scheduled for Wednesday in Ottawa, but the lawyer said Boyle would not attend in person. He said Boyle was in custody.

Ottawa police declined to comment. Granger said he had not seen the court documents yet.

“Mr. Boyle is presumed innocent. He’s never been in trouble before. No evidence has been provided yet, which is typical at this early stage. We look forward to receiving the evidence and defending him against these charges,” Granger said in an email.

A publication ban bars reporting any information that could identify the alleged victims or witnesses in the case.

In a statement to the Toronto Star, Boyle’s wife wrote, “I can’t speak about the specific charges, but I can say that ultimately it is the strain and trauma he was forced to endure for so many years and the effects that that had on his mental state that is most culpable for this.”

“Obviously, he is responsible for his own actions,” she added, “but it is with compassion and forgiveness that I say I hope help and healing can be found for him. As to the rest of us, myself and the children, we are healthy and holding up as well as well we can.”

The family met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the leader’s office last month.

Boyle told The Associated Press in October that his wife had been hospitalized in Ottawa, but did not specify why she was taken to the hospital.

“My wife has been through hell, and she has to be my first priority right now,” Boyle wrote then.

Boyle also told AP that he and his wife decided to have children even while held captive because they always planned to have a big family, thinking: “Hey, let’s make the best of this and at least go home with a larger start on our dream family.”

“We’re sitting as hostages with a lot of time on our hands,” Boyle added. “We always wanted as many as possible, and we didn’t want to waste time. Cait’s in her 30s, the clock is ticking.”

Boyle said then that their three children were 4, 2 and “somewhere around 6 months.”

“Honestly we’ve always planned to have a family of 5, 10, 12 children … We’re Irish, haha,” he wrote in an email in October.

The parents of Caitlan Boyle, who is from Stewartstown, Pennsylvania, said after the rescue that they were elated she had been freed, but they also expressed anger at their son-in-law for taking their pregnant daughter to Afghanistan.

Pakistani troops rescued the family in an operation Oct. 11 aimed at their captors from the Taliban-linked Haqqani group.

The Pakistanis caught the Haqqani fighters at some point after they had moved with their captives across the border from Afghanistan. Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said the operation was based on a tip from U.S. intelligence.

>Related articles

Asylum revoked for the president of the Pakistani Community in Greece, Javed Aslam

Horrific allegations against Iran’s regime: Injured protesters executed in hospitals, girls detained and raped

UN: Atrocities in El Fasher were a preventable disaster

Boyle was once briefly married to Zaynab Khadr, the older sister of former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr and the daughter of a senior al-Qaida financier who had contacts with Osama bin Laden.

The Canadian-born Omar Khadr was 15 when he was captured by U.S. troops following a firefight and was taken to the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay. Officials had discounted any link between that background and Boyle’s capture, with one describing it in 2014 as a “horrible coincidence.”

Source: yahoo.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#abducted#afghanistan#charged#children babies#freed#islam#Joshua Boyle#muslims#pakistan#sex crime#wife
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Pierrakakis: The international role of the euro is the strategic response to the economic challenges facing Europe

February 17, 2026

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

February 17, 2026

40-year record for Mediterranean monk seal births in Greece – watch the video

February 17, 2026

Which Greek island ranks among the world’s 13 top destinations for slow travel

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026

“I am the boss and you will do what I tell you”: The chilling testimony of the plumber who installed the pipe at the Violanta factory

February 17, 2026

Spectacular show at the Chinese New Year gala: humanoid robots dance and perform… kung fu — Watch video

February 17, 2026
All News

> Politics

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

The Prime Minister will take part in the AI Impact Summit before meeting his Indian counterpart

February 17, 2026

Chatzivasileiou: Greece enters the international energy map — the agreements with Chevron mean recognition of our sovereign rights

February 17, 2026

Pavlos De Grec speaks out and intervenes, but is not forming a party: What his plans are

February 17, 2026

The “X-ray” of the 4 Chevron hydrocarbon contracts: Investments up to €1 billion, public revenues up to 40%

February 17, 2026

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα