×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Truck driver blamed for damaging ancient Nazca Lines! (SHOCKING VIDEO-PHOTOS)

UNESCO estimates Peru’s famous geoglyphs are around 2,000-year-old

Newsroom February 2 12:20

A truck driver is accused of ignoring warning signs and carelessly plowing across Peru’s famous Nazca Lines on Saturday, causing significant damage to the estimated 2,000-year-old archeological wonder, authorities said.

The UNESCO World Heritage Site, which features massive geoglyphs of animals, plants and various creatures that are seen from the air, was left with deep tire marks when the big rig left the road. The culture ministry released a photo showing the damage.

l1

A video posted on Facebook also shows the vehicle parked off of the road and surrounded by various tire tracks, CNN reported.

The ancient designs surrounding the vehicle, which collectively cover 280 square miles, are touted on UNESCO’s website as being “the most outstanding group of geoglyphs anywhere in the world and are unmatched in its extent, magnitude, quantity, size, diversity and ancient tradition to any similar work in the world.”

According to Argentine newspaper Clarín, cited by NPR, the driver defended his action, saying that he wasn’t familiar with the area and that he only left the road because of a mechanical problem.

The paper speculated, however, that he may have left the road in an attempt to avoid paying a highway toll.

Local news site Peru21 identified the driver as 40-year-old Jainer Jesús Flores Vigo and said that he was only briefly detained as there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that he acted with intent.

aa619b59a5f741bce15118d2564bcf53-nazca-lines

Prosecutors for the public ministry say they will pursue charges.

Though the ancient artwork is estimated to be thousands of years old, it continues to puzzle and amaze observers as the exact reason for its creation is uncertain ― though UNESCO’s website notes that the geoglyphs are believed to have had ritual astronomical functions.

One recent example of its ability to surprise was in 2014, when a pilot discovered previously unknown geoglyphs across the land after sandstorms unveiled them.

This wasn’t the first time people have harmed the historic artwork, however.

tr

In 2017, Greenpeace activists damaged some of the land when they pulled a publicity stunt in a protected area near an etched hummingbird figure. That act involved placing giant letters across the land, spelling out a message for their organization.

>Related articles

€100,000 the price for historic photographic evidence of Nazi war crimes in Greece

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

Moment a naval mine is neutralized at Naxos port – Watch video

Simply walking on the land without special footwear will leave permanent scarring, the country’s deputy culture minister, Luis Jaime Castillo, said at the time of the incident.

“They are absolutely fragile,” he told the Associated Press. “They are black rocks on a white background. You walk there and the footprint is going to last hundreds or thousands of years. And the line that they have destroyed is the most visible and most recognized of all.”

Source: huffingtonpost

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#archaeology#damage#Greenpeace#history#monument#Nazca lines#Peru#photos#truck#UNESCO#video
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

February 22, 2026

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026

Trump raised the new tariffs to 15% on all imports from all countries

February 21, 2026

With the weather on our side for the Carnival parades and Koulouma: “It’s time to unwind,” says Kolydas

February 21, 2026
All News

> World

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

Trump had in mind a copy-paste operation like the one in Venezuela; however, in Iran the situation is very different. Tehran has ways to retaliate, possesses regional partners ready to strike, the regime is deeply entrenched, and it knows how to play the economic damage card effectively

February 22, 2026

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Trump raised the new tariffs to 15% on all imports from all countries

February 21, 2026

Venezuela: Amnesty granted to 379 political prisoners

February 21, 2026

Nigeria: Gunmen killed at least 50 people, kidnapped women and children

February 21, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα