×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
21
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Kyiv continues its advance into Russian territory – Launched a night attack with 117 drones and 4 missiles

The Russian Belgorod region is in a state of emergency - Ukrainian troops have advanced 800 kilometers into the Kursk region

Newsroom August 14 08:59

The Russian air defense system destroyed 117 drones and four tactical missiles launched during the night by Ukraine, targeting several regions, including Kursk, the Russian Ministry of Defense announced today.

The ministry reported that the missiles and 37 drones were destroyed over the Kursk region, while another 37 drones were taken down over the Voronezh region, among others. However, the Russian ministry did not disclose the total number of drones and missiles launched by Ukraine.

The governor of the Voronezh region, Aleksandr Gusev, stated that Ukraine launched more than 35 drones against his region during the night. Voronezh is located several hundred kilometers south of Moscow. “There were no casualties,” Gusev said on Telegram.

Belgorod region in a state of emergency

The governor of Belgorod, a Russian region bordering Ukraine, announced today that he is declaring a state of emergency, citing the “extremely difficult” situation due to ongoing Ukrainian shelling.

“The situation in our region, Belgorod, remains extremely difficult and tense due to the bombardments by the Ukrainian armed forces. Homes have been destroyed, and civilians have been killed and injured,” Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov stated on Telegram.

“To ensure better protection for the population and to provide further assistance to the victims, a state of emergency will be declared at the regional level from today,” he added, urging Moscow to declare a state of emergency “at the federal level” as well.

He mentioned attacks by Ukrainian drones on two villages in the region—Shebekino and Ustinovka. Authorities in the Kursk, Voronezh, and Bryansk regions also reported Ukrainian drone raids, assuring that they were shot down by Russian air defense during the night.

On August 6, the Ukrainian armed forces began a large-scale operation in the Kursk region, which borders Voronezh, claiming to have captured over 1,000 square kilometers of Russian territory.

Russian authorities acknowledge the loss of 28 communities and state that Ukrainian territorial gains extend over a zone 40 kilometers wide and 12 kilometers deep.

According to estimates by Agence France-Presse, based on data from Russian sources collected by the American Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Ukrainian troops have advanced 800 kilometers in the Kursk region.

For comparison, Russia has advanced 1,360 kilometers into Ukrainian territory since January 1, according to Agence France-Presse’s analysis.

According to an American official who spoke to Reuters, the purpose of the Ukrainian operation seems to be to force Russia to withdraw troops from other areas of Ukraine to defend its territory.

U.S. President Joe Biden stated that the situation “creates a real dilemma for [Russian President Vladimir] Putin.”

>Related articles

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

Medvedev: Zelensky is a useful idiot, as long as he stays in power, Ukraine is shrinking

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

In his first comments on the Ukrainian military operation, the U.S. president told reporters that Washington is in constant contact with Kyiv, despite his administration previously assuring that it has no involvement in the planning, preparation, or execution of the operation.

From Russian President Putin’s perspective, the Ukrainian operation aims to improve Kyiv’s negotiating position when talks begin, as well as to slow the slow but steady advance of Russian forces on the eastern front in recent months.

According to a Russian blogger who monitors developments in the war and uses the pseudonym Rybar, Ukrainian forces continue to attack in multiple directions, while Russian troops aim to pin them down and especially to destroy their armored vehicles, as they await further reinforcements.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Kursk#Kyiv#putin#russia
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

US Ambassador says Israel has a “Biblical Right” to occupy the entire Middle East

February 21, 2026

Trump’s frontal clash with the Supreme Court: 10% global tariff, the day after the decision and the US president’s “dribble”

February 21, 2026

Epstein’s Lolita Express featured in a series airing in Greece: the “dark” flights, trafficking of women, celebrity passengers, the allegations

February 21, 2026

€100,000 the price for historic photographic evidence of Nazi war crimes in Greece

February 21, 2026

Bad weather with an “orange” warning before Carnival, improvement on Clean Monday for kite flying

February 21, 2026

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026
All News

> Lifestyle

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

A video of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley posted on social media sparked reactions, with viewers questioning whether the model had altered her appearance

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Maria Menounos: The revealing dress she wore on her trip to Greece – see photos

February 20, 2026

Eric Dane: The life and legacy of the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star who died of ALS at 53

February 20, 2026

Katie Price: New photos from Dubai spark shock as she appears thinner than ever

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα