×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
18
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 31°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Malaysia detains Chinese barge on suspicion of looting WWII British warship wrecks

Malaysian media reported that illegal salvage operators were believed to have targeted the HMS Repulse and the HMS Prince of Wales

Newsroom May 29 06:50

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Malaysia’s maritime agency said Monday it found a cannon shell believed to be from World War II on a Chinese-registered vessel and was investigating if the barge carrier was involved in the looting of two British warship wrecks in the South China Sea.

Malaysian media reported that illegal salvage operators were believed to have targeted the HMS Repulse and the HMS Prince of Wales, which were sunk in 1941 by Japanese torpedoes, days after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

A total of 842 sailors perished, and the shipwrecks off the coast of central Pahang state are designated war graves. Fishermen and divers alerted authorities after spotting a foreign vessel near the area last month.

See Also:

>Related articles

New tension between Russia and Japan over the Kuril Islands: Moscow summoned the Japanese Ambassador

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

Iron Maiden: They played the legendary track “Alexander the Great” for the first time live (video)

The agency said it detained the vessel registered in Fuzhou, China, on Sunday for anchoring without a permit off southern Johor state. It said there were 32 crew members aboard, including 21 Chinese, 10 from Bangladesh and a Malaysian.

Read more: AP

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#china#history#Malaysia#politics#salvage#shipwreck#warship#world#WWII
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Turkey’s marine parks push Greek-Turkish relations to a dangerous turning point

August 18, 2026

British couple killed in Sifnos helicopter crash named as Blackstone banker and his wife

August 18, 2026

Fire breaks out in Komara, Evros; helicopter deployed

August 18, 2026

Council removes 100 padlocked sun loungers from Chalkidiki beach

August 18, 2026

Greek-owned bulk carrier hit off Novorossiysk in the Black Sea; all 21 crew members rescued — see photos

August 18, 2026

University of Ioannina: €3.5 million intervention by the Ministry of Education to upgrade infrastructure

August 18, 2026

Greek prime minister hails early debt repayment as “national success”

August 18, 2026

Police identify bus driver who made illegal U-turn on Athens-Sounio road

August 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα