President Nicos Anastasiades will issue a statement regarding confidential documents relating to the Conference on Cyprus at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana political leaders say he sent to close friends and associates.
Political parties have accused Anastasiades of sending the documents to a select few to convince them of his handling of the Cyprus problem.
“I have kept my patience for days now, not wanting to create any confrontations,” said Anastasiades at a function for the Disaster Response Special Unit (EMAK) at Kofinou on Wednesday.
Although the President did not disclose all the recipients of the documents, he did say that a copy had been sent to AKEL Secretary General Andros Kyprianou.
“I considered the documents confidential as it gave the impression that apart from Turkey, Cyprus also was responsible (for the collapse of the talks),” said Anastasiades.
“Is the Joint Communiqué of June 4 confidential? Are the positions of the Greek Cypriot confidential? Are briefs of minutes confidential? Only these were in the folder,“ said the President.
Anastasiades dismissed accusations that he only sent the documents to his supporters.
“I don’t think Andros Kyprianou is a supporter of mine,” said Anastasiades.