×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Thousands of civilians and “rebels” evacuate Aleppo (video-photos)

50,000 people remain on rebel-held areas, says UN

Newsroom December 16 08:14

Thousands of people were evacuated on Thursday from the last rebel bastion in Aleppo, the first to leave under a ceasefire deal that would end years of fighting for the city and mark a major victory for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
A first convoy of ambulances and buses with nearly 1,000 people aboard drove out of the devastated rebel-held area of Aleppo, which was besieged and bombarded for months by Syrian government forces, a Reuters reporter on the scene said.
Syrian state television reported later that two further convoys of 15 buses each had also left east Aleppo. The second had reached the rebel-held area of al-Rashideen, an insurgent said.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said late on Thursday that some 3,000 civilians and more than 40 wounded people, including children, had already been evacuated.
Staffan de Mistura, the U.N. special envoy for Syria, said about 50,000 people remained in rebel-held Aleppo, of whom about 10,000 would be evacuated to nearby Idlib province and the rest would move to government-held city districts.
Behind those fleeing was a wasteland of flattened buildings, concrete rubble and bullet-pocked walls, where tens of thousands had lived until recent days under intense bombardment even after medical and rescue services had collapsed.
The once-flourishing economic center with its renowned ancient sites has been pulverized during the war that has killed more than 300,000 people, created the world’s worst refugee crisis and allowed for the rise of Islamic State. The United States was forced to watch from the sidelines as the Syrian government and its allies, including Russia, mounted an assault to pin down the rebels in an ever-diminishing pocket of territory, culminating in this week’s ceasefire.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Thursday that the Syrian government was carrying out “nothing short of a massacre” in Aleppo. U.N. aid chief Stephen O’Brien will brief the Security Council on Friday on the Aleppo evacuation.
The Syrian White Helmets civil defense group and other rights organizations accused Russia of committing or being complicit in war crimes in Syria, saying Russian air strikes in the Aleppo region had killed 1,207 civilians, including 380 children.
In a letter submitted to the U.N. Commission of Inquiry on Syria and seen by Reuters on Thursday, the groups listed 304 alleged attacks carried out in the Aleppo area primarily between July and December and said there was a “high likelihood” of Russia responsibility.
The Russian U.N. mission was not immediately available to comment on the allegations. Russia has said it stopped air strikes in Aleppo in mid-October.
In Aleppo’s rebel-held area, columns of black smoke could be seen as residents hoping to depart burned personal belongings they do not want to leave for government forces to loot.
A senior Russian general, Viktor Poznikhir, said the Syrian army had almost finished its operations in Aleppo.
more at: Reuters.com

>Related articles

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

Politico on the Munich Conference: Europe is spending more on defense and can stand up to the US

Munich Conference formalizes the rift: Rubio cancels last-minute Ukraine meeting – “We must free ourselves from dependence on the US,” say Merz & Macron

EDITORS NOTE: Graphic content / Buses are seen during an evacuation operation of rebel fighters and their families from rebel-held neighbourhoods in the embattled city of Aleppo on December 15, 2016. A convoy of ambulances and buses left rebel territory in Aleppo in the first evacuations under a deal for opposition fighters to leave the city after years of fighting. The rebel withdrawal will pave the way for President Bashar al-Assad's forces to reclaim complete control of Syria's second city, handing the regime its biggest victory in more than five years of civil war.  / AFP PHOTO / George OURFALIAN

EDITORS NOTE: Graphic content / Buses are seen during an evacuation operation of rebel fighters and their families from rebel-held neighbourhoods in the embattled city of Aleppo on December 15, 2016. A convoy of ambulances and buses left rebel territory in Aleppo in the first evacuations under a deal for opposition fighters to leave the city after years of fighting. The rebel withdrawal will pave the way for President Bashar al-Assad's forces to reclaim complete control of Syria's second city, handing the regime its biggest victory in more than five years of civil war.  / AFP PHOTO / George OURFALIAN

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Aleppo#civilians#evacuation#rebels#russia#syria#UN#US#war
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

EU investigation against Shein for sex dolls with childlike features

February 17, 2026

Artificial Intelligence in music: Why 13.4 million AI tracks were removed from platforms, the challenges and the limits

February 17, 2026

A man of shadows: The wing commander who spied for China is stripped of his Greek citizenship

February 17, 2026

The contract-killing scenario behind the murder of the life-sentence inmate executed at Domokos Prison, and the gaps in the “rescue” of the chief guard

February 17, 2026

BoE: 1.9 billion Euro cash surplus in January

February 17, 2026

Scientists have created compounds with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties from E.coli bacteria

February 17, 2026

Three dead, including the gunman, in shooting at a hockey arena in Rhode Island

February 17, 2026

Jesse Jackson: Civil rights activist and reverend dies at 84

February 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

A man of shadows: The wing commander who spied for China is stripped of his Greek citizenship

The 54-year-old officer will face a lengthy prison sentence as well as the loss of citizenship once the new legislative provision passed in January is applied

February 17, 2026

The contract-killing scenario behind the murder of the life-sentence inmate executed at Domokos Prison, and the gaps in the “rescue” of the chief guard

February 17, 2026

Fast-moving storm from the west: Tsatrafyllias warns of flooding in 8 regions

February 17, 2026

The second liberation of Northern Epirus by the Hellenic Army and the incredible bravery of Lieutenant Leontokianakos

February 17, 2026

Kaisariani documents move into a claim trajectory: Ministry of Culture delegation in Ghent, investigation into whether more material exists

February 17, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα