×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

37 killed in Istanbul terrorist attack (videos-photos)

No group has claimed resonsibility

Newsroom December 11 10:56

Thirty seven people, thrirty police officers and seven civilians, were killed and 166 wounded in Saturday’s twin bombings in Istanbul.
The explosions, one large blast followed by a smaller one, occurred about 11 p.m. local time (3 p.m. ET) after a heavily attended football game at Besiktas Vodafone Arena.

According to Soylu, a remote control detonated a car bomb for the explosion. Shortly afterward, a suicide bomber caused a second explosion at Macka Park. The two locations are less than a mile apart. No group has claimed responsibility for the twin bombings but ISIS and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) have staged attacks in Turkey over the past year.
Speaking live Sunday morning to affiliate CNN Turk, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said: “It is not certain yet but those responsible (for the attacks) seems to be the PKK.” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, an ally to the United States in the fight against ISIS, issued a statement prior to the news conference saying Istanbul had once again “witnessed the ugliest face of terror stepping on all values and morals. … Together with the help of Allah, as a country and a nation, we will overcome terror, terror organizations, terrorists and the … powers behind them.”
Ten suspects have been detained in connection with the blasts, Soylu said at the conference.
The Turkish prime minister’s office said in a statement, a day of national mourning has been declared on Sunday, the state-run Anadolu news agency said. Video showed a chaotic scene outside Besiktas Vodafone Arena as police converged on the area and emergency medical workers loaded victims into ambulances. Several blocks away, police towed cars parked at Taksim Square, a popular tourist area, as a precaution.
Of those killed, 27 were police officers, Soylu said. Seventeen people are presently undergoing operation for their wounds, according to Turkish Health Minister Recep Akdağ, who also spoke at Sunday’s press conference.

source: CNN.com

>Related articles

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

Dr. Ioannis Papafloratos to Proto Thema: An assessment of the Mitsotakis – Erdogan meeting & the state of the Greek-Turkish relations

Mitsotakis–Erdogan statements: “Time to remove every threat coming from the past,” said the Prime Minister regarding the casus belli (updated)

A damaged vehicle is seen after a blast in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2016. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

Police arrive at the site of an explosion in central Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2016. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

Police arrive at the site of an explosion in central Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2016. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#29 dead#constantinople#istanbiul#terrorist attack#turkey
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

February 17, 2026

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Pierrakakis: The international role of the euro is the strategic response to the economic challenges facing Europe

February 17, 2026

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

February 17, 2026

40-year record for Mediterranean monk seal births in Greece – watch the video

February 17, 2026

Which Greek island ranks among the world’s 13 top destinations for slow travel

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026
All News

> Politics

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

The Prime Minister will take part in the AI Impact Summit before meeting his Indian counterpart

February 17, 2026

Chatzivasileiou: Greece enters the international energy map — the agreements with Chevron mean recognition of our sovereign rights

February 17, 2026

Pavlos De Grec speaks out and intervenes, but is not forming a party: What his plans are

February 17, 2026

The “X-ray” of the 4 Chevron hydrocarbon contracts: Investments up to €1 billion, public revenues up to 40%

February 17, 2026

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα