×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
21
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Shooting in Paris! Hollande: “We are convinced it was terrorist attack” (VIDEOS-PHOTOS-Upd.11)

The Islamic State claim responsibility - One attacker may be at large

Newsroom April 20 10:49

President Hollande said: “We are convinced the motive is likely to be terrorism.”

Fillon has stated that “[T]he fight against terrorism must be the absolute priority of the next French president.”

Marine Le Pen and Francois Fillon have cancelled their scheduled campaigns for Friday.

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terror group have claimed responsibility for the Paris attack.

Francois Fillon called for the first round of the Presidential election to be suspended.

fr2

Earlier, three policemen were shot in central Paris one of which is dead.

The information that a second policeman died of his wounds in hospital, it is said that they are incorrect.

So far only one police officer has been officially confirmed dead on the scene.

The gunman who fired on them has been also shot dead, according to the authorities.

The Champs Elysees avenue in Paris has been evacuated. It is one of the most well known areas in France.

The shooter opened fire with a AK-47 near the Marks & Spencer store.

fr

The officers were shot while they were inside a police car.

Police said there may have been more attackers involved.

According to some sources, the Police have issued an arrest warrant for a second suspect who arrived from Belgium by train.

A helicopter is flying low over central Paris searching for other possible suspects.

Authorities told the public to avoid the area.

The incident takes place days before France’s presidential election.

im

President Hollande called an emergency security meeting.

The dead shooter was known to the authorities. Anti-terrorist police units are searching his house and his car.

It is investigated as a terrorist act.

fr1

US President Donald Trump condemned the shooting:
“It just never ends. We have to be strong and we have to be vigilant.”

fr3

fr4

>Related articles

A close associate of Jeffrey Epstein and recruiter of girls was ready to expose the network, but suddenly…disappeared

Cyprus: Police uncover safe house with 220 kg of cocaine and cannabis, seize weapons and explosives worth over €7 million

“I love him, leave him alone, don’t call him a racist”: An African-American woman defended Trump and praised him at the White House

Continues update

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#France#Islamic attack#paris#police#President Donald Trump#terrorism
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Donald Trump imposes a flat 10% global tariff following Supreme Court ruling

February 20, 2026

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

February 20, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026
All News

> Politics

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

The Home Office and Google initiative is expected to focus from 2026 onwards on further strengthening practical AI and digital work skills

February 20, 2026

The strengthening of the Greece–USA strategic defense relationship was at the center of the meeting between Dendias and a delegation from the US Congress

February 20, 2026

Giannis Kefalogiannis: Managing natural disasters is not a one-off policy, but a long-term strategy

February 20, 2026

Dendias to meet with US congress delegation on Friday

February 19, 2026

Adonis Georgiadis on the incidents in Nikaia: “They would have killed me without the riot police

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα