×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
23
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 34°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Obama under fire following Otto Warmbier’s death

Otto's father stated that Obama had not done enough to bring the 22-year-old home

Newsroom June 20 05:08

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Following news of Otto Warmbier’s death earlier today, former U.S. President Barack Obama has come under fire for his perceived inaction in bringing the 22-year-old home from North Korea while he was in office.

As the BBC reports, Warmbier – who spent 15 months in captivity after allegedly stealing a propaganda sign from a hotel – returned to the U.S. last Tuesday, at which point his family learned that he had been in a coma for a year.

According to the BBC, North Korean officials stated that the coma was a result of botulism – a fact U.S. doctors disputed, stating he had been suffering from severe brain damage.

Tragically, earlier today, Warmbier’s family stated, “it is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home. Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20pm.”

The statement reportedly added, “the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today.”

Prior to his son’s death, Fred Warmbier stated that Obama had not done enough to bring the 22-year-old home.

“When Otto was first taken, we were advised by the past administration to take a low profile while they worked to obtain his release,” he said at a press conference last week upon learning his son would be freed, as Breitbart reports.

“We did so, without result. Earlier this year, Cindy and I decided the time for strategic patience was over, and we made a few media appearances and traveled to Washington to meet with Ambassador Joe Yun at the State Department,” he continued.

As for the Trump administration, Fred Warmbier said he was “extremely grateful for their efforts and concern,” adding that President Donald Trump called him personally to discuss Otto last Wednesday night.

See Fred Warmbier’s remarks below.

Also under heavy criticism, suitably so, is North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.

“Let us state the facts plainly,” said Arizona Senator John McCain following Otto Warmbier’s death, as Business Insider reports.

“Otto Warmbier, an American citizen, was murdered by the Kim Jong-un regime. In the final year of his life, he lived the nightmare in which the North Korean people have been trapped for 70 years: forced labor, mass starvation, systematic cruelty, torture, and murder.”

>Related articles

Elon Musk’s Transparency Offensive: Open-sourcing X’s entire codebase and making every government censorship demand visible

Trump says he will meet Kim Jong Un this Year & reveals that North Korea has “57 nuclear weapons”

Tensions between Israel & Turkey are rising in Syria: Airbase bombings, Ankara’s denial & US intervention

According to Fox News, President Donald Trump stated, “Melania and I offer our deepest condolences to the family of Otto Warmbier on his untimely passing,” adding that “the United States once again condemns the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim.”

Fox News further states that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also holds North Korea accountable for Warmbier’s “unjust imprisonment” and issued a demand for North Korea to release three other Americans it is holding captive.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Barack Obama#North Korea#Otto Warmbier#President Donald Trump#usa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Nea Smyrni: Man waited for woman outside building, killed her, then took his own life

August 23, 2026

Iranian hackers knocked out UK power plant for four days, Telegraph reports

August 23, 2026

City of Athens prepares for today’s soaring temperatures with 7 AC spaces and other measures

August 23, 2026

Turkey and Israel’s rivalry raises fears of a dangerous miscalculation in Syria

August 23, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa announces retaliatory tariffs

August 23, 2026

Police arrest helicopter passenger over drugs after Spetses beach landing on a beach

August 22, 2026

Madonna’s partner posts Greek holiday photos and declares his love in Greek

August 22, 2026

Secret tanker crossings are keeping oil prices from soaring through the Strait of Hormuz

August 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα