×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Politics

Plans to remove the monuments in Skopje and the talks about the name dispute

Gruevski: "Everything that will be destroyed by the social democrat government, will be restored once we return to power"

Newsroom November 16 08:22

 

The monuments of “Alexander the Great”, “Mother Teresa” and “Andon Janev Koseto” will soon be removed from Skopje’s central square. The government has gathered a group of experts who are reviewing the monuments built as part of the “Skopje 2014” project.

The group’s task is to assess the legal aspects of the procedures followed for the construction of the monuments which covered the main space of Skopje’s central square.

“Two reports have been drafted so far and delivered to the minister of Culture. Then, they will be sent to the government in order to decide the fate of these monuments”, says the head of this group, architect Miroslav Grcev.

Grcev says that there are no political agendas in this case, because what the group is doing, is merely assessing that every monument has been erected according to the law. The reports sent to the Ministry of Culture suggest that these monuments be lifted, because there’s a serious breach of the Constitution and laws.

Meanwhile, VMRO-DPMNE is strongly against the plans to remove these monuments.

“The removal of the monuments will be a dangerous step which will cause new divides in our society. But, everything that will be destroyed by the social democrat government, will be restored once we return to power”, says VMRO-DPMNE.

Experts of political affairs say that the plans to remove some of the monuments aim at calming down the relations with Greece regarding the name dispute.

>Related articles

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

Former ambassador Alajdin Demiri says that the removal of the monuments comes after the requests made by the Greeks who want to see Skopje take the first step toward unblocking the negotiations about the name and give way to a solution.

Meanwhile, media in Skopje report that the Greek side is requesting the removal of the monuments of Alexander the Great and Philip II from the center of Skopje and also to change the name of “Alexander the Great” airport, in order to provide a more relaxed atmosphere while launching the talks for the name dispute.

Source: balkaneu.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Alexander the Great#Balkans#diplomacy#elections#eu#Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)#greece#name dispute#NATO#Nikola Gruevski#Philip II#politics#Skopje#statues#UN#UN mediator Matthew Nimitz#VMRO-DPMNE
> More Politics

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026

The execution of the 200 in Kaisariani by German occupation forces: The stories and relics of the fallen

February 16, 2026

St. Peter’s Basilica Square to fully open to the public, café to double in size, real-time booking system to be introduced

February 16, 2026

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026
All News

> World

St. Peter’s Basilica Square to fully open to the public, café to double in size, real-time booking system to be introduced

These changes—whose implementation date has not yet been specified—are part of the initiatives marking this year the 400th anniversary of the inauguration of St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in the world and the global center of Catholicism

February 16, 2026

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα