×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Doctors Without Borders look into sexual assault charges

Paris-based group said it had received 146 complaints last year

Newsroom February 14 08:02

Aid group Doctors Without Borders on Wednesday said it had acted on 24 cases of sexual harassment or abuse last year as British charity Oxfam faces a storm over its handling of a sex scandal.
The Paris-based group, known by its French acronym MSF, said it had received 146 complaints or alerts last year, of which 24 were for sexual harassment or sexual assault.
The charity fired 19 staff members as a result while other employees were handed disciplinary measures or were suspended, it said in a statement.
It warned that the true figure could be higher as the 24 does not include cases reported to MSF teams on the ground that may not have been signalled to head office.
“Even though reports of abuse have steadily increased, MSF is aware that abuse goes under-reported,” the charity said.
With 40,000 staff around the world, MSF is one of the world’s largest aid groups, best known for its work offering medical aid in conflict zones. The charity won the 1999 Nobel Peace Prize.
The revelations from the French group came as Oxfam grapples with allegations that some of its staff used prostitutes in Haiti following a devastating 2010 earthquake.
The scandal has led to the resignation of Oxfam’s deputy head and has thrown into question British government funding for the charity, which amounted to around £32 million (36 million euros, $44 million) last year.
Oxfam has denied covering up the scandal but admitted it should have been more transparent.

source: thelocal.fr

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Doctors without borders#France#oxfam#paris#sex scandal
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Fresh polls, ND’s ups and downs, President Maria and Alexis, Violanta’s green adviser, Goldair, Piraeus Bank and Thriassio

February 16, 2026

Greece returns to hydrocarbon exploration with Chevron and ExxonMobil: Signatures today at Maximos Mansion, the next steps

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026

SOA Greece takes action for the Mediterranean: Youth, science, and solutions for invasive species

February 16, 2026

How the ring operated that opened and shut down restaurants and bars using “straw men” to evade VAT and social-security contributions—dismantled by the AADE

February 15, 2026

Anna Psarouda-Benaki dies at the age of 92

February 15, 2026

Violanta factory owner to testify on Tuesday: Evidence that led to the new arrest

February 15, 2026

Contracts with Chevron–Helleniq Energy to be signed tomorrow: When seismic surveys begin

February 15, 2026
All News

> Greece

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

Hundreds of “hits” from interested parties have driven the value of each image up to €2,100 from the starting price of €36.50, in the eBay auction of photos that are said to depict the execution of 200 Greek resistance fighters at the Kaisariani Shooting Range on May 1, 1944. If the images are proven authentic, […]

February 16, 2026

Anna Psarouda-Benaki dies at the age of 92

February 15, 2026

Violanta factory owner to testify on Tuesday: Evidence that led to the new arrest

February 15, 2026

Decline in mortgage lending, fears of foreclosures and investment uncertainty: the side effects of the ruling on loans under the Katseli Law

February 15, 2026

Traffic restrictions on Attiki Odos due to works – carriageway towards the Airport closed from Elefsina to Aigaleo

February 15, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα