×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Mattis, when asked if troop deployment to border is a stunt: “We don’t do stunts” (videos)

Their role largely will mirror that of the existing National Guard troops, including providing helicopter support for border missions

Newsroom November 1 10:21

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis emphatically denied a reporter’s suggestion Wednesday that the deployment of thousands of active-duty troops to the U.S.-Mexico border is part of a political stunt ahead of next week’s midterm elections.

“We don’t do stunts in this department. Thank you,” Mattis told a reporter who posed the question after a Pentagon meeting with Mattis’ South Korean counterpart. The defense secretary added the deployment was to provide “practical support” to the Department of Homeland Security and was based on a request from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The deployment is in response to the approach of a caravan containing an estimated 4,000 Central American migrants. The Pentagon said late Wednesday that it had identified 7,000 who will be participating in the mission at the border. Approximately 2,000 National Guard members previously have been dispatched to the frontier over the past six months.

>Related articles

Gunman armed with rifle and gasoline can shot dead by Secret Service at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Estate

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

The White House repeatedly has warned members of the caravan that they will not be allowed into the United States. In an interview with Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle” Monday night, President Trump vowed that the migrants “are not coming in” and said the administration would build “tent cities” to house asylum-seekers.

“We’re going to have tents, they’re going to be very nice and they’re going to wait and if they don’t get asylum, they get out,” the president said.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#borders#caravan#mexico#US defence secretary James Mattis#usa#white house#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Gunman armed with rifle and gasoline can shot dead by Secret Service at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Estate

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for Proto Thema: ND at 31.4% in vote estimate, Mitsotakis “playing solo” on suitability for Prime Minister

February 22, 2026

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

February 22, 2026

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026
All News

> Politics

Marc poll for Proto Thema: ND at 31.4% in vote estimate, Mitsotakis “playing solo” on suitability for Prime Minister

PASOK declines, with low voter cohesion and limited leadership approval for Androulakis – Just under 10% potential vote for Karystianou and Tsipras – Seven-party parliament, lower threshold for majority – Cross-party approval of Mitsotakis’ proposals for constitutional revision

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

€100,000 the price for historic photographic evidence of Nazi war crimes in Greece

February 21, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα