×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

UK says China has to answer for Covid-19 virus

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said he thought China had to answer to questions about the pandemic

Newsroom May 4 02:04

Britain’s defence minister says China has questions to answer over the information it had shared about the coronavirus outbreak but a post mortem examination over its role should come later, Britain’s defence minister said.

Asked on Monday by LBC radio if China had questions to answer over how quickly it made the world aware of the extent of the crisis, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: “I think it does.”

“The time for the post mortem on this is after we’ve all got it under control and have come through it and our economies are back to normal.

“China needs to be open and transparent about what it learnt, its shortcomings but also its successes,” he said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday there was “a significant amount of evidence” that coronavirus emerged from a Chinese laboratory, but did not dispute US intelligence agencies’ conclusion that it was not man-made.

“There is a significant amount of evidence that this came from that laboratory in Wuhan,” Pompeo told ABC’s “This Week”, referring to the virus that emerged late last year in China and had killed about 240,000 people around the world, including more than 67,000 in the United States.

Pompeo then briefly contradicted a statement issued last Thursday by the top US spy agency that said the virus did not appear to be man-made or genetically modified.

>Related articles

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

UK government plan to wipe court records on grooming gangs sparks outrage over “justice blackout”

A man of shadows: The wing commander who spied for China is stripped of his Greek citizenship

China has repeatedly denied covering up any details about the coronavirus outbreak.

China’s ambassador to London last month said the United States should not seek to bully the People’s Republic in a manner reminiscent of the 19th century European colonial war.

source winghamchronicle.com.au

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#British Defence Minister#china#coronavirus#COVID-19#culpable#UK
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Marc poll for Proto Thema: ND at 31.4% in vote estimate, Mitsotakis “playing solo” on suitability for Prime Minister

February 22, 2026

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

February 22, 2026

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026

Trump raised the new tariffs to 15% on all imports from all countries

February 21, 2026
All News

> Politics

Marc poll for Proto Thema: ND at 31.4% in vote estimate, Mitsotakis “playing solo” on suitability for Prime Minister

PASOK declines, with low voter cohesion and limited leadership approval for Androulakis – Just under 10% potential vote for Karystianou and Tsipras – Seven-party parliament, lower threshold for majority – Cross-party approval of Mitsotakis’ proposals for constitutional revision

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

€100,000 the price for historic photographic evidence of Nazi war crimes in Greece

February 21, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα