×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 21°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Saudi Arabia wants China to help fund its struggling $500 billion Neom megaproject but Investors may not be too excited

Wider concerns have reportedly been raised about the trillion-dollar investments in Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's Vision 2030 project

Newsroom April 24 05:13

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Saudi Arabia took its Neom road show to China amid speculation about the scope of the project and its finances.

Neom officials visited Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong last week to court Chinese investors and shed more light on the mysterious megacity.

While no deals have been announced, one attendee told Agence France-Presse that the exhibition helped make Neom “less mysterious.”

That observation came from Leonard Chan, the chair of the Hong Kong Innovative Technology Development Association who also told the news agency that reactions to the ambitious project at an invitation-only reception were “mostly neutral.”

Chan may not be first in line for The Line, however. “I’ll visit for fun, but I won’t live there. It’s like something out of ‘SimCity,'” he told AFP.

A private showcase provided attendees with an “immersive experience” exploring The Line, a 105-mile-long futuristic city, along with Oxagon, which promises to redefine the “traditional industrial model”; Trojena, Neom’s mountain resort; and Sindalah, a luxury island in the Red Sea that opens to the public later this year, per a press release.

Neom officials did not address recent reports that plans for the hugely expensive desert project were being scaled back.

Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that Saudi Arabia had significantly reduced estimates for the number of people expected to live in The Line. Officials cut the number of expected residents for the “horizontal skyscraper” from 1.5 million by 2030 to fewer than 300,000, the report said.

Tarek Qaddumi, Neom’s executive director, said that the population target of 9 million would be achieved in time, per AFP.

Representatives for Neom did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Business Insider made outside normal working hours.

See Also:

Reuters: Greece plans early repayment of 5 billion euros in loans within the year

Wider concerns have reportedly been raised about the trillion-dollar investments in Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s Vision 2030 project.

The financial realities of the project, which could cost as much as $500 billion, have started to cause alarm within the Saudi government, Bloomberg reported. The country has also started borrowing to help fund Neom and other Vision 2030 “megaprojects,” The Wall Street Journal reported in February.

>Related articles

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

The Neom project is also planning to issue bonds for the first time, Bloomberg reported last week. The megacity project could raise up to $1.3 billion by selling Islamic bonds, or sukuk, the outlet reported, citing unnamed sources.

The Neom road show has also visited Seoul, Tokyo, Singapore, New York City, Boston, Washington, D.C., Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris, Berlin, and London.

Source: yahoo

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#china#construction#megaproject#neom#saudi arabya#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

May 21, 2026

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

May 21, 2026

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

May 21, 2026

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

May 21, 2026

Alexandros Giotopoulos, the leader of the 17 November organization who had been sentenced to life imprisonment, was released after 24 years in prison

May 21, 2026

Henry Nowak: Student killed in knife attack as two-tier policing questions grow in murder trial

May 21, 2026

Rubio: US-Iran deal is “unfeasible” if tolls are imposed on the Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026

“Hope for Democracy, Maria Karystianou, Independent Citizens’ Movement” is the name of the party (video-photos)

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα