U.S. President Donald Trump said his proposed tariffs on Mexico and Canada will go into effect on March 4, as planned, because the two countries are still, Trump claims, allowing drugs to flow into the U.S.
China will also be subject to additional 10% tariffs also on the same date, the US president said in a post on his Truth Social platform.
Donald Trump’s post
“Drugs continue to come into our country from Mexico and Canada at very high and unacceptable levels. A large percentage of these drugs, many in the form of fentanyl, are manufactured in and supplied from China. More than 100,000 people died last year due to the trafficking of these dangerous and highly addictive poisons. Millions of people have died in the last two decades. The families of the victims are devastated and, in many cases, virtually destroyed. We cannot allow this scourge to continue to harm the United States, and therefore, until it is stopped or severely curtailed, the proposed tariffs scheduled to take effect on March 4 will indeed be put in place as planned. China will similarly be hit with an additional 10% tariff on that date. The April 2 date for reciprocal tariffs will remain in full force and effect. Thank you for your attention to this matter. God bless America.”
Ask me anything
Explore related questions