×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 9°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

USA: Ban on entry for citizens of 12 countries in force from today

The decision concerns citizens of Afghanistan, Myanmar, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Sudan, Yemen and Afghanistan

Newsroom June 9 11:46

 

The ban on US entry for citizens of 12 countries went into effect this morning, Greece time, following an executive order signed last week by US President Donald Trump.

The decision — taken to “protect the United States from foreign terrorists and other national security threats,” as Trump said in his executive order — applies to citizens of Afghanistan, Myanmar, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

The U.S. government, which has a particularly strict immigration policy, explained that these countries were included on the list as they lack effective ways to ensure that proper screening of travelers is done, adding that their citizens tend to remain in the U.S. even after their visas expire.

The same order imposed visa restrictions on citizens of seven other countries: Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, Togo and Venezuela.

Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela, Venezuela and Venezuela.
Trump compared the decision, announced on Wednesday, to “effective restrictions” he had imposed on citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries, known by critics as the “Muslim ban”, early in his first term as US president in 2017.

Four countries are on both the 2017 list and this year’s list: Iran, Libya, Sudan and Yemen.

Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen, Yemen and Yemen.
“As president, I must act to protect the national security and national interest of the United States and its citizens,” Trump said in his executive order, adding that he wants “to protect the United States from foreign terrorists.”

The Republican cited the attack on Jews committed on June 1 in Colorado by an Egyptian whose visa had expired to illustrate “the extreme dangers of allowing foreign citizens who have not undergone proper vetting to enter the United States.”

The attack this one — with 12 wounded — targeted participants in a week-long march demanding the release of Israeli prisoners held in the Gaza Strip. Egypt, the shooter’s home country, was not on the list announced by Trump.

“We will not allow what happened in Europe to happen in America,” the US president said, referring to attacks committed by foreign nationals.

The ban is met with concern and confusion by many countries on Trump’s list.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Falker Turk expressed “concern regarding international law” because of the “very broad and general scope” of the ban.

Amnesty International denounced the decree as “discriminatory, racist and absolutely cruel.”

The African Union expressed “concern about the potential negative impact of such measures”, including on “diplomatic relations” with the countries involved.

One of the countries, Chad, announced that it was suspending visas for US citizens in retaliation.

“I know the pain caused by Trump’s cruel and xenophobic travel bans as my family has been hit hard,” Iranian-American Congresswoman Yasamin Ansari wrote on X yesterday (Sunday). “We will fight against this ban with all our might,” she added.

However, Trump’s ban provides exceptions for certain visa holders, diplomats and individuals whose travel to the US “serves the national interest.”

>Related articles

Trump at the credential presentation of new ambassador Alexandridis: “I would like to visit Greece, our relations have never been stronger”

“True friend, fighter & winner”: Trump openly supports Orban ahead of the Hungarian elections

Gilfoyle’s forewarning about Trump’s visit to Greece and speculations on the timing

The January 2017 ban sparked protests at several major US airports.

 

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Ban on entry#migration#President Donald Trump
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026
All News

> Travel

Hydra in a day – A timeless seaside escape

Hydra sweeps away the pulse of city life and welcomes you into its effortlessly serene pace

February 18, 2026

Kimolos wins over International Media: “A hidden gem waiting to be discovered”

August 28, 2025

French Vogue discovers the exotic beauty of Skopelos

August 28, 2025

Naxos tops the list of Greek kitesurfing destinations for 2025

July 9, 2025

Holidays in Psara

June 20, 2025
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα