×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Three days of national mourning in Austria after school massacre – 21-year-old gunman ends his life

The school where the attack took place will remain closed until further notice

Newsroom June 10 08:10

A three-day national mourning has been declared by Austrian Chancellor Christian Stoker in memory of the victims of the attack on a Graz school.

In addition, he said, a minute’s silence will be observed across the country tomorrow at 11:00 (local time).

>Related articles

EU–Mercosur trade deal approved after 25 years of negotiations

Austria: Ban on Islamic headscarves in schools for girls under 14 becomes law

Austria: at least five dead in school attack – The perpetrator was probably a student and committed suicide

Meanwhile, according to local police director Gerald Ortner, the gunman was 21 years old, lived in Graz, and used two guns, which he legally possessed. The 21-year-old, a former student at the school, apparently ended his life in a bathroom in the building, according to police estimates.

Home Affairs Minister Gerhard Carner confirmed that the young man had not completed his education at the school.

More than 300 police officers rushed to the scene and immediately proceeded to evacuate the school. The authorities point out that so far, there are no clear indications of the motives for the attack. The school where the attack took place will remain closed until further notice.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#21-year-old gunman#Austria#National Mourning
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

“Tehran” creator Dana Eden is the Israeli found dead in an Athens Hotel – “Murder claims are false”

February 16, 2026

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

Yesterday, unknown persons vandalized the monument of the 200 executed at the shooting range of Kaisariani, after the disclosure of the historical photos - "I was shocked", says the Belgian seller to protothema.gr

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026

Brief spell of severe weather on Tuesday with strong thunderstorms: What’s behind the shift after yesterday’s southerly winds and dust

February 16, 2026

Violanta factory owner to testify on Tuesday: Evidence that led to the new arrest

February 15, 2026

Anna Psarouda-Benaki dies at the age of 92

February 15, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα