×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
21
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Economy

Beijing moves to impose tariffs on European brandy

China will impose tariffs of up to 34.9% for five years from tomorrow, Saturday, on brandy of European Union origin, most of which will be French cognac

Newsroom July 4 10:30

China decided today to go ahead with imposing tariffs on European brandy as part of the anti-dumping investigation launched by Beijing in January, but exempting major cognac producers such as Pernod Ricard, LVMH, and Remy Cointreau from the high tariffs, a rare bright spot in a period of trade tensions between Brussels and Beijing.

China will impose tariffs of up to 34.9% for five years from tomorrow, Saturday, on brandy originating European Union, most of which will be cognac from France, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce announced in a final decision.

However, most of the French cognac industry, including major brands Hennessy and Remy Martin, owned by LVMH, will be exempt from the tariffs, provided they sell at a minimum price, the ministry said in a statement. It did not disclose the minimum prices.

Beijing launched an anti-dumping investigation last year into imports of European spirits, mainly cognac, in response to the European Union’s ongoing investigation into Chinese state subsidies for Chinese-made electric vehicles. French cognac producers generate global exports of $3 billion a year.

Brussels reacted to the announcement of the tariffs. “We regret China’s decision to impose tariffs on EU brandy. The decision was communicated to us today. The Commission has followed this investigation very closely from the beginning. We believe that China’s measures are unfair and do not comply with the international rules in force,” said Olaf Gill, Commission Trade Spokesman, regarding China’s decision to impose tariffs of up to 34.9% on cognac from EU countries from tomorrow 5 July.

During the regular press conference, he spoke of “a disappointing development”, while stressing, regarding the investigation cited by China’s side, that “the Commission has intervened repeatedly to defend and support the EU industry, expressing growing concerns and raising objections about the clear shortcomings in the conduct of the investigation”, noting that none of the concerns identified have actually been confirmed.

“Unfortunately, these measures are also part of a disturbing pattern of abuse of trade defence instruments by China, which is initiating and conducting investigations based on questionable allegations and insufficient evidence.”

>Related articles

Maduro’s arrest a “slap” to Beijing and a message to Tehran

Russian National Security Chief Sergei Shoigu in China

Middle East: Beijing opposes Trump’s plan for ‘forced displacement’ of Gaza population

He said the EU would assess the situation and take its next steps. “We will carefully study these measures and assess the next steps in order to best protect EU industry and the economic interests of the Union.”

Meanwhile, on the US tariffs front, with the July 9 deadline approaching, he stressed that “negotiations are at a delicate stage”. As Mr. Gill made known, the European Trade Commissioner responsible for the negotiations is returning from the US today and “will have talks with the representatives of the EU member states on the state of the negotiations and, when we receive their views, we will carefully assess how to proceed to the next step.”

Paris initially reacted strongly against the Chinese decision, but French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot spoke of “a positive step” this afternoon on Beijing’s decision to close the investigation into European brandy, with a very wide range of exceptions. “However, many important points remain unresolved, in particular the exclusion of certain agents from the scope of the exemptions,” Barrot said, adding that he would discuss the issue when he meets his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi later today in Paris.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Beijing#European products#impose tariffs
> More Economy

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Unthinkable torture in Iran’s prisons: Police rape women and remove their uteruses to eliminate evidence

February 21, 2026

US Ambassador says Israel has a “Biblical Right” to occupy the entire Middle East

February 21, 2026

Trump’s head-on clash with the Supreme Court: 10% global tariff, the day after the ruling and the President’s “workaround”

February 21, 2026

Epstein’s Lolita Express featured in a series airing in Greece: the “dark” flights, trafficking of women, celebrity passengers, the allegations

February 21, 2026

€100,000 the price for historic photographic evidence of Nazi war crimes in Greece

February 21, 2026

Bad weather with an “orange” warning before Carnival, improvement on Clean Monday for kite flying

February 21, 2026

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026
All News

> Travel

Hydra in a day – A timeless seaside escape

Hydra sweeps away the pulse of city life and welcomes you into its effortlessly serene pace

February 18, 2026

Kimolos wins over International Media: “A hidden gem waiting to be discovered”

August 28, 2025

French Vogue discovers the exotic beauty of Skopelos

August 28, 2025

Naxos tops the list of Greek kitesurfing destinations for 2025

July 9, 2025

Holidays in Psara

June 20, 2025
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα