×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 10°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

The U.S. canceled the visa and blocked Mahmoud Abbas’ participation in the UN General Assembly – Reactions to the decision

The State Department revoked the visas of the Palestinian president and 80 officials, citing the undermining of the peace process – Strong criticism from Palestine, support from Israel

Newsroom August 30 09:06

The president of the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas, will not be able to attend the UN General Assembly in New York next month, as the United States canceled his visa along with those of about 80 other Palestinian officials. The decision was confirmed by the U.S. State Department, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio stating that the Palestinian leadership “undermined peace efforts” and is seeking “unilateral recognition of a hypothetical Palestinian state.”

The move is considered unusual, as the U.S., as host country of the UN, is obliged under the UN Headquarters Agreement to facilitate access for all officials participating in meetings, regardless of their bilateral relations with Washington. The fact that the ban comes at a time when France and other countries—including the UK, Canada and Australia—have announced they will proceed with recognition of a Palestinian state, adds greater political weight to the decision.

The Palestinian side reacted strongly to the decision. Abbas’ office described the visa revocation as a “flagrant violation of international law,” stressing that the State of Palestine has been a UN observer member since 2012. The Palestinian ambassador to the UN, Riyad Mansour, had already announced that Abbas would lead the delegation to the General Assembly, something that is now no longer possible.

In contrast, Israel welcomed the American stance. Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar declared that “the State Department’s decision is justified,” while Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated his longstanding position that recognition of a Palestinian state would amount to “rewarding Hamas terrorism.”

>Related articles

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

Politico on the Munich Conference: Europe is spending more on defense and can stand up to the US

Violent clash in Lyon: Antifascists vs. nationalists, 23-year-old declared brain-dead

Along the same lines, Rubio accused the Palestinian Authority and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) of being “unable to be considered peace partners” as long as they do not renounce terrorist attacks such as the massacre of October 7, do not end “incitement to terrorism in education,” and continue to appeal to international courts against Israel.

At the UN, spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric emphasized that there will be communication with Washington, stressing that “it is important that all member states and permanent observers are represented at the General Assembly.” This is particularly relevant, he noted, ahead of the special session on the two-state solution, to be co-organized by France and Saudi Arabia.

The U.S. decision raises questions regarding compliance with its international obligations, while the political balance around the Palestinian issue appears to be entering a new phase, with recognition of statehood by more Western countries now looming.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#France#Netanyahu#new york#palestine#UN#US#visa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

The testimony of Mr. Tziortziotis regarding the explosion at the Trikala factory that claimed the lives of five female workers lasted four hours and 45 minutes

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα