×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
22
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 21°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Washington demands a 20-year “freeze” on all nuclear activity from Tehran, what to do with the 440 kg of enriched uranium

Iran proposes a five-year suspension, according to information cited by the New York Times - Trump fears a deal similar to the 2015 deal

Newsroom April 14 01:24

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Shortly before leaving Islamabad in the early hours of Sunday morning, United States Vice President J.D. Vance described Washington and Tehran as “different worlds”, especially in terms of guarantees that Iran will never acquire a nuclear weapon, not now, not in two years, but in the long term.

However, according to information that emerged after Vance’s 21-hour visit to Pakistan, cited by the New York Times, the US side is not seeking a permanent ban on uranium enrichment. Instead, it has proposeda 20-year “suspension”of all nuclear activity, allowing Iran to retain the right to produce nuclear fuel under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

In response, Tehran reiterated a proposal for a suspension of up to five years, according to two senior Iranian officials and a U.S. official. A similar proposal was tabled in February in failed negotiations in Geneva, which led Donald Trump to decide on a military strike against Iran a few days later.

Beyond the nuclear program, the talks cover other issues, such as restoring free navigation in the Strait of Hormuz and ending Iran’s support for organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah. However, the core of the dispute remains Tehran’s refusal to abandon its nuclear ambitions, dismantle its facilities or remove its stockpiles of enriched fuel from the country.

The fact that the two sides are now focusing on the length of the suspension is seen as an indication that there is room for agreement. According to Reuters, a new round of negotiations is expected to take place again in Islamabad towards the end of this week or early next week, although the White House has clarified that no meeting has yet been finalized.

Trump fears a deal similar to the 2015 deal

For Donald Trump, however, there is a risk that a new deal could resemble the 2015 agreement on Iran’s nuclear program, which he withdrew from in 2018, calling it “horrible and one-sided”. That agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), provided for a gradual increase in allowable uranium enrichment until 2030, when restrictions would lapse, though Iran would still be bound by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

According to Rob Malley, who was involved in the 2015 negotiations and then led a Joe Biden administration effort to reestablish an agreement, even a multi-year complete suspension of nuclear activity would be a more stringent framework than the JCPOA.

The history of US-Iran relations includes repeated attempts to delay Tehran’s acquisition of a nuclear weapon, either through cyberattacks that caused centrifuges to be destroyed or through sanctions and diplomatic agreements. The result is that Iran has taken longer to come close to acquiring a nuclear weapon than any other country that has pursued a similar program, such as North Korea, India, Pakistan or Israel.

J.D. Vance said there had been“some good talks”with Iran in Pakistan, noting that the continuation depended on Tehran’s flexibility. As he told Fox News, Iran has shown a willingness to compromise, but “hasn’t gone far enough.”

White House press secretaryCaroline Levitt stressed that the US “red lines” are clear and argued that pressure on Iran is increasing due to Washington’s naval blockade, affecting oil exports.

A point of friction and the 440 kilograms of enriched uranium

Another point of friction concerns the US demand that some 440 kilograms of highly enriched uranium be removed from Iran to ensure it is not used for military purposes. Donald Trump is even reportedly considering sending ground forces to Isfahan to secure the material, which is kept in underground facilities.

Tehran insists that the fuel should remain within the country, but proposes to dilute it so it cannot be used to make a nuclear weapon. That process would significantly lengthen the time it would take to build a nuclear warhead, though it would keep Iran in control of the material, which could in the future be re-enriched to levels close to the 90 percent needed to make a weapon.

The economic aspect is also on the table. Iran is seeking the release of about $6 billion from oil sales, which remains frozen in Qatar because of sanctions imposed during Trump’s first term.

>Related articles

Partial climbdown by Iran: Says “yes” to negotiations without lifting the naval blockade, puts nuclear issues and the opening of Hormuz on the table

Tehran signals possible “Major development tonight or tomorrow” in efforts for new talks with the US

Trump: Possible new talks with Iran within the next “36 to 72 hours”

 

 

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Tehran#uranium
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Best Greek Swimsuit and Resortwear Brands to Know This Summer

May 22, 2026

Turkey: CHP appeals to Turkey’s Supreme Administrative Court over removal of its leadership

May 22, 2026

Ozzy Osbourne: “I still look for you in every part of life that should include you,” writes his daughter

May 22, 2026

Papastergiou on electric scooters: How the ban on minors will be implemented, with kids wallet the procedure

May 22, 2026

SpaceX: Why it canceled the Starship V3 launch 40 seconds before liftoff

May 22, 2026

Thessaloniki Metro closes on Friday 29/5 for 2.5 weeks – The extension project to Kalamaria is underway

May 22, 2026

Ticket issue for the Final Four: Olympiacos in constant contact with EuroLeague to resolve issue for ticket holders

May 22, 2026

Spy “thriller” at the Presidential Palace in Skopje

May 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα