A search and rescue operation is being carried out for Spanish businessman Juan José Mutilba Obregón, 66, who has been missing since Tuesday 18 August, when he fell into the sea from his sailing yacht during a voyage from Syracuse to Pylos. Travelling with him was his 67-year-old wife, Carmen, who spent around three days alone and unable to communicate aboard the drifting boat before she managed to find a signal and report the incident.
According to information released by his family, on Tuesday morning, while sailing towards Greece with his wife, the 66-year-old had been fishing and had caught a tuna. While cleaning the fish, he reportedly slipped on its blood and fell into the sea.
His 67-year-old wife heard her husband shouting, “Menchu, Menchu, cut the engine,” but, as their son Sergio recounts, she was unable to react in time. Although she held a certificate to operate a recreational boat, obtained years earlier, she was not capable of handling such a challenging task on her own, and the boat kept drifting away while the 66-year-old was left behind in the water.
She was unable to stop the yacht, which continued moving away from the spot where he had fallen, and she had no signal on her mobile phone to call for help.
She remained on the boat for around three days, unable to reach the relevant authorities. On Friday she managed to pick up a signal again and contacted a family friend experienced in navigation.
The family friend alerted Spain’s maritime rescue service, Salvamento Marítimo, which in turn passed the alert on to the relevant authorities in Italy and Greece.
Yacht located near Pylos
Once the Greek authorities were informed, a search and rescue operation was launched. According to the Hellenic Coast Guard, the French-flagged sailing yacht was located about 18 nautical miles off Pylos, drifting out of control. Two coast guard patrol boats, a land patrol vehicle and the fishing boat “Ioanna-Marina” were dispatched to help.
The 66-year-old’s wife was found safe and in good health, and the yacht was then escorted, with the coast guard’s assistance, to the marina in Pylos.
Search for the 66-year-old continues
The missing man’s son, Sergio Mutilba, has travelled to Pylos and is staying there with his family, awaiting news of his father. “We’re now at the marina in Pylos, but we know very little. We’re told the search is continuing, but have no further information,” he told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo.
The family is calling for the search for the 66-year-old to continue without interruption and for greater involvement from the Spanish authorities.
“What we’re asking is that they don’t stop and keep searching,” said his son, adding that he would like to see more resources mobilised.
Who is the missing man
Juan José Mutilba Obregón, 66, worked in IT. For years he headed the company D’ors Informática, before later moving into the business water distribution sector through Mutobre S.L.
After taking early retirement, he had spent much of his time at sea, sailing with his wife across the Mediterranean, including trips to Italy, France and Greece.
Ask me anything
Explore related questions