×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

NATO says non-US 2017 defence spending to rise 4,3%

So far only five allies have met that benchmark - the US, Greece, Britain, Estonia and Poland

Newsroom June 29 07:29

European NATO allies and Canada will increase defence spending this year by 4.3 percent, alliance chief Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday, amid pressure from President Donald Trump to spend more.

“In 2017 we foresee an even greater annual real increase of 4.3 percent. That is three consecutive years of accelerating defence spending,” Stoltenberg told reporters on the eve of a defence ministers’ meeting in Brussels.

“So we are really shifting gears, the trend is up and we intend to keep it up,” he added.

Trump has repeatedly berated the allies for not doing more to share the defence burden and bluntly told them again at a leaders’ summit in Brussels last month that they could not count on Washington coming to their defence if they did not do their bit.

Trump’s comments caused consternation among many, notably Germany, but Stoltenberg said the president’s demands were understandable given the challenges the US-led alliance now faces.

“I welcome the strong focus of Trump on spending and defence burden sharing,” he said.

“At the same time, I also underline that allies should invest more in defence not to please the United States but because it is in their own interest and they have made the commitment.”

Stoltenberg, a former Norwegian prime minister, recalled that the 28 allies had pledged at a 2014 summit in Wales to increase defence spending to the equivalent of two percent of annual economic output within a decade.

That move, pushed by then president Barack Obama in response to the Ukraine crisis and a more aggressive Russia, had halted and reversed years of defence cuts, Stoltenberg said.

So far only five allies have met that benchmark — the US, Greece, Britain, Estonia and Poland. But Stoltenberg said Romania was set to join them this year, and Latvia and Lithuania in 2018.

In 2015, the allies turned the corner with an increase of 1.8 percent overall, pushed that to 3.3 percent in 2016 and now looked to go further again this year, he said.

In all, the three years represented an overall increase of $46 billion dollars, boosting NATO’s ability to face the Russian challenge in Europe and new threats such as Islamic State-inspired jihadi terrorism across the Middle East and North Africa.

>Related articles

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

The United States accounts for about 70 percent of combined NATO defence spending and Washington has pushed the allies for years to do more to ease the burden.

Trump, however, has pressed hardest of all, putting the allies on the back foot by dubbing NATO “obsolete” and questioning the wisdom of the US security commitment if they failed to live up to their side of the bargain.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#alliance chief Jens Stoltenberg#defence spending#greece#NATO#usa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

The Municipality of Nea Irakleio has received ten centuries-old olive trees through a transplantation program run by OSE and will integrate them into the city’s parks. These trees come from areas where railway works are being carried out and, instead of being cut down, are relocated and offered to municipalities that wish to adopt them, with funding from the Green Fund

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026

The chief prison guard at Domokos prison was arrested for complicity in the murder of a life-sentenced inmate

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα