×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

At least 29 dead from the clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh

UN chief Guterres calls for an immediate end to the fighting

Newsroom September 20 09:39

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for “an immediate end to the fighting” in Nagorno Karabakh, against which Azerbaijan launched a new attack yesterday, Tuesday, killing at least 29 people so far.

Three years after a war that ended in Armenia’s defeat, yesterday’s flare-up of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh was discussed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, with France calling for an emergency meeting of the Security Council.

 

Azerbaijan launched ‘anti-terrorist activities’ in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, saying it wanted to restore constitutional order and drive out what it said were Armenian troops, a move that could foreshadow a new war https://t.co/xTfXJp8GL2 pic.twitter.com/dIw1hbBUJR

— Reuters (@Reuters) September 20, 2023

The meeting could take place “in the coming days”, two diplomatic sources told AFP, citing Thursday as a possible date.

For his part, Guterres called “in the strongest possible terms for an end to the fighting, a de-escalation and strict respect for the 2020 ceasefire and the principles of international humanitarian law,” according to a statement issued yesterday, Tuesday, evening, by his spokesman Stéphane Dujarric.

 

Azerbaijan has said it has launched an “anti-terrorist operation” in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Footage circulating on social media shows bombing in Karabakh’s main city.

Read more: https://t.co/ViEADENHsk pic.twitter.com/smBV3PZV0E

— Sky News (@SkyNews) September 20, 2023

Russia also called this morning for “an immediate end to the bloodshed, an end to hostilities and civilian casualties,” the Foreign Ministry said.

The Azerbaijani presidency last night called on Nagorno Karabakh troops — a region internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijani territory, but the majority of its inhabitants are Armenian — to surrender their weapons, a necessary condition for the start of negotiations.

“Armenia’s illegal armed forces must raise the white flag, surrender all their weapons and the illegal regime must be dismantled. Otherwise, anti-terrorist operations will continue to the end,” he stressed.

In case of a surrender of the separatists in the enclave, the Azerbaijani presidency proposed talks “with representatives of the Armenian population of Karabakh in Yevlakh,” an Azerbaijani city 295 kilometres west of Baku.

Earlier, the Nagorno-Karabakh authorities had called for an immediate ceasefire and negotiations.

At least 29 dead

At least 29 people have been killed in the clashes. Separatists in the enclave said 27 people were killed, including two civilians, and more than 200 wounded, while some 7,000 people in 16 districts were displaced from their homes.

Azerbaijan noted that two civilians were killed in areas under its control. In the town of Shusha, a construction worker was killed by a mortar shell and another civilian died in the Aghdam district.

The separatists said that in several towns in Nagorno-Karabakh, including in the capital Stepanakert, there was “heavy fire” targeting civilian infrastructure.

The Azerbaijani armed forces noted that they used “artillery”, rockets, attack drones, and aircraft, and said they captured 60 Armenian positions.

>Related articles

Jesse Jackson: Civil rights activist and reverend dies at 84

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

Bloomberg: US back-and-forth forces Europe to consider developing a unified nuclear deterrent

Yerevan denounced “a widespread offensive” aimed at “ethnic cleansing” and assured that it has no troops in Nagorno-Karabakh, suggesting that the separatists are alone against the Azerbaijani troops.

Armenia expects Russia, a guarantor of the 2020 ceasefire that has peacekeeping forces in the region, to act to “stop the Azerbaijani offensive”.

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Armenia#Azerbaijan#dead#Nagorno-Karabakh#russia#UN Security Council#war
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Hydra in a day – A timeless seaside escape

February 18, 2026

Violanta: The Chronicle of a foretold disaster through testimonies – “He told me to say the smell was from the sewers”

February 18, 2026

Bringing Hollywood to Greece with €1 billion in gains – Filming with Brad Pitt begins in Hydra

February 18, 2026

Severe weather sweeps Greece: Storm-force winds, flooding, and more to come

February 18, 2026

The sky is selling: The top spots in Greece for astrotourism

February 18, 2026

Greece’s energy transition: Vrohonera I pumped storage project receives green light

February 18, 2026

ONEX Syros Shipyards: Syncrolift ship lifting system in operation again after 15 years

February 18, 2026

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

February 17, 2026
All News

> World

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

Nickel is one of Cuba’s main export products, as the country faces a severe energy crisis

February 17, 2026

Spectacular show at the Chinese New Year gala: humanoid robots dance and perform… kung fu — Watch video

February 17, 2026

Three dead, including the trans gunman, in shooting at a hockey arena in Rhode Island

February 17, 2026

EU investigation against Shein for sex dolls with childlike features

February 17, 2026

Scientists have created compounds with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties from E.coli bacteria

February 17, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα