×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
20
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 19°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Borussia Dortmund to ‘pull together’ against Monaco after explosions damage bus

"Shocked" Borussia Dortmund players will "pull together" when they face Monaco

Newsroom April 12 09:47

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Defender Marc Bartra fractured his wrist in the incident, which led to Tuesday’s Champions League quarter-final first leg being postponed.

The match has been rescheduled for Wednesday, with a 17:45 BST kick-off.

“In such a crisis situation, all of Borussia will pull together,” said chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke.

“The team and coaches were shocked. Now we must channel it in some way.”

tw1

Watzke said the “explosive strike on the bus” happened as it left the team hotel, with “three explosive devices placed and triggered on the edge of the road”.

Dortmund said Bartra had an operation on Tuesday after “breaking the radial bone in his arm and getting bits of debris lodged in his hand”.

The 26-year-old, who has played 12 times for Spain, joined the Bundesliga club from Barcelona in June last year.

Captain Marcel Schmelzer said: “We’re all in shock and our thoughts are with Marc. We hope that he will make a speedy recovery.”

Goalkeeper Roman Burki, who was sitting at the back of the team bus alongside Bartra, told Swiss newspaper Blick: “We left the hotel and went down the street. The bus turned down the main street, and there was a giant explosion.

tw2

“After the bang, we all ducked in the bus and those who could threw themselves to the ground. We did not know had happened.

“We’re all shocked – nobody thought of a football match in this moment.”

The bus was damaged at 18:15 BST on Tuesday – 90 minutes before kick-off – about six miles from the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund.

Police said there were three explosions in the vicinity of the coach and believe the explosives could have been hidden in a nearby hedge.

They called it “a targeted attack” and found a letter at the scene claiming responsibility for the attack, but did not disclose its full contents.

They are preparing for a “large deployment” at the rescheduled game.

Kick-off was initially delayed and, with thousands of fans already inside the stadium, the match was postponed 15 minutes before the scheduled kick-off, with Monaco fans chanting in support of their opponents.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino condemned the incident, while Uefa counterpart Aleksander Ceferin said he was “deeply disturbed” and praised the decision to postpone the game.

Watzke said: “I have to express a huge compliment to our fans, who have dealt with it very well, objectively, reasonably and solidly.

“It will not be easy to get that out of the mind. I think the team will feel it on Wednesday.”

With the second leg in Monaco set for 19 April, Watzke said there was no choice but to play the game on Wednesday, as Monaco have a domestic game against Dijon on Saturday.

tw

>Related articles

OECD: Greece recorded the largest increase in household income in Q4 2025

Germany rejects Putin’s proposal for Schröder to mediate in Ukraine

Meeting between Kyriakos Mitsotakis and the German Foreign Minister: Europe must be present in the Middle East after a peace agreement

Soon after the match was rearranged, people in the Dortmund area offered to host Monaco fans who chose to stay in Germany for an extra night or two, using #bedforawayfans..

And Monaco offered to reimburse their supporters staying in Germany with up to £67 (80 euros).

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Borussia Dortmund#germany#Monaco#terrorist attack
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Thyranoixia of the Saint Tychon Parish in Luleå, Sweden

May 20, 2026

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

May 20, 2026

Eurostat: Inflation in Greece confirmed at 4.6% in April

May 20, 2026

Trump on Iran: Either we’ll finish it or they will sign an agreement

May 20, 2026

Dendias: Ukraine owes a big apology for the drone, I am not among those who have believed the narrative of “calm waters”

May 20, 2026

“Life of Byron”opens at the Greek Center next week

May 20, 2026

Speech by Mitsotakis at the event on public transport in Athens

May 20, 2026

The real estate market: How much the boundless, ultra-luxurious blue of the Aegean and Ionian costs

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα