×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
20
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 23°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

“Loser superpower”: Russian senators claim US campaign in Afghanistan ended in failure

"George Bush Junior started the war, Barack Obama promised to end it but never did it"

Newsroom August 17 03:04

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Members of the Russian upper house have stated that the 16-year US military campaign in Afghanistan had ended in failure and reiterated a call for Washington to withdraw troops from that country.

“George Bush Junior started the war, Barack Obama promised to end it but never did it. As a result, President Donald Trump has been left with a disaster on his hands. Loser superpower,” Senator Aleksey Pushkov tweeted.

Pushkov released this comment soon after Taliban released an open letter to Trump in which it claimed that the military operation in Afghanistan was in vain despite the huge costs, both in terms of human casualties and material losses. The letter then urged Trump to make a decision that would always see him remembered as an advocate of peace.

US State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert confirmed receipt of the Taliban’s open letter and said that Washington was considering various options as far as possible troop removal from Afghanistan is concerned.

Earlier this week, the Russian president’s special envoy to Afghanistan, Zamir Kabulov, said in a press interview that the US campaign in Afghanistan had failed and Washington needs to withdraw troops. He added that Moscow strongly opposes the plan to replace the regular US military forces in Afghanistan with military contractors.

On Thursday, the deputy head of the Russian upper house Committee for International Affairs, Andrey Klimov, told reporters that Kabulov’s statement was a sign that Moscow intended to use political and diplomatic leverage to prevent further spreading of US military presence.

“A US-led military intervention has been taking place for 16 years, right near the CIS borders. And considering the fact that the borders within the CIS are transparent this means that this is happening right near our borders,” Klimov said in comments with Vzglyad internet daily. The CIS is the Commonwealth of Independent States – a Russia-led political and economic bloc of former Soviet republics.

“In recent years this has borne no resemblance to an anti-terrorist operation and looks more like a colonial policy, an attempt to keep the US military contingent there at any cost,” he added.

The senator also noted that previously Russia has approved of the military operation conducted by the US and its NATO allies in Afghanistan, and even provided assistance to this operation, but this position has been reconsidered because of the deterioration of Russia-US relations and also because the operation in Afghanistan has failed to yield any positive results.

>Related articles

EU–US tariff deal: Temporary agreement to cut duties seen as “step toward balanced transatlantic trade,” says von der Leyen

New York Times: The secret US-Israel plan to replace the mullahs with Ahmadinejad — and the bombing that derailed it

In Beijing, Putin: Warm welcome from the Chinese foreign minister (video)

“Quite some time ago is became clear that the anti-terrorist operation conducted by the US and NATO in Afghanistan is ineffective, but in the course of this operation the flow of illegal drugs into Russia has increased many-fold, according to some estimations even 100-fold,” he said.

“All this calls for a reaction and the first statements made on the subject reveal that Russia intends to use political and diplomatic means to prevent this gray spreading of the US military presence in Afghanistan,” the senator concluded.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#afghanistan#Barack Obama#CIS#George Bush jr.#President Donald Trump#putin#russia#superpower#US military#usa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Live broadcast of protothema.gr for the Final Four: Analysis of Olympiacos, Fener, Valencia and Real Madrid

May 20, 2026

Scientists discover new fault in Africa that could split the continent in two

May 20, 2026

Synolakis on the smell in Attica: the characteristic “rotten egg” odor and deeper waters with hydrogen sulfide and ammonia

May 20, 2026

Stricter rules, new exclusion zones and a “cut-off” at 1,200 meters for wind farms, ban on wind turbines in Attica

May 20, 2026

Lithuania on high alert over suspected drone: Vilnius Airport closed and air danger warning issued

May 20, 2026

Mitsotakis to Tasoulas: Elections in one year, political reshuffle “Does not concern us”

May 20, 2026

EU–US tariff deal: Temporary agreement to cut duties seen as “step toward balanced transatlantic trade,” says von der Leyen

May 20, 2026

Nafpaktos horror: Giant snake gets stuck in car engine and blocks steering

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα