×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Arms sold by US and Saudi Arabia ended up in ISIS hands, report finds

Conflict Armament Research (CAR) said most Islamic State weapons were looted from the Iraqi and Syrian armies

Newsroom December 15 08:27

Arms provided by the United States and Saudi Arabia to Syrian opposition groups frequently ended up in the hands of Islamic State, an arms monitoring group that analysed weapons found on the battlefield said on Thursday.
Conflict Armament Research (CAR) said most Islamic State weapons were looted from the Iraqi and Syrian armies. But some were originally provided by other countries, mainly the United States and Saudi Arabia, to Syrian opposition groups fighting against President Bashar al-Assad.
“These findings are a stark reminder of the contradictions inherent in supplying weapons into armed conflicts in which multiple competing and overlapping non-state armed groups operate,” the group said in a 200-page report.

isis1

CAR documented at least 12 cases of weaponry purchased by the United States that ended up in Islamic State’s hands, either captured on the battlefield or acquired through shifting alliances within the Syrian opposition. Most of these items later ended up in Iraq, the monitor said.
In one case, it took only two months for Islamic State fighters in Iraq to get their hands on a guided anti-tank missile the United States bought from a European country and supplied to a Syrian opposition group.

All of the items were made in EU states, and in most cases, the United States broke contractual clauses prohibiting retransfers by giving the weapons to armed groups in Syria.

isis3

“Evidence collected by CAR indicates that the United States has repeatedly diverted EU-manufactured weapons and ammunition to opposition forces in the Syrian conflict. IS forces rapidly gained custody of significant quantities of this material.”

CAR said it similarly traced numerous items used by Islamic State back to exports from Bulgaria to Saudi Arabia, and that these were also subject to non-retransfer clauses that should have barred them from being supplied to Syrian warring parties.

isis2

Around 90 percent of weapons and ammunition used by Islamic State in Syria and Iraq were made in China, Russia, and Eastern European countries, CAR said, with China and Russia alone accounting for over 50 percent.

“These findings support widespread assumptions that the group initially captured much of its military materiel from Iraqi and Syrian government forces,” the report said.

Russian-made weapons used by Islamic State in Syria outnumbered Chinese ones, “presumably reflecting Russian supplies to the Syrian regime,” CAR said.

Russia is allied with Assad and launched air strikes in Syria in September 2015, its biggest Middle East intervention in decades, turning the tide of the conflict in his favour.

>Related articles

Dendias to meet with US congress delegation on Friday

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

Politico on the Munich Conference: Europe is spending more on defense and can stand up to the US

On Saturday Iraq declared final victory over Islamic State, which seized more than a third of the country’s territory in 2014. Last week Russia declared victory over the group in Syria.

CAR reported last year that Islamic State had been making its own weapons on a scale and with sophistication matching national military forces, and that it had standardized production across its realm.

source: jpost.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#1973 student uprising#arms#report#Saudi Arabia#US#weapons
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Moment a naval mine is neutralized at Naxos port – Watch video

February 19, 2026

Dendias to meet with US congress delegation on Friday

February 19, 2026

Prince Andrew released – Leaves the police station visibly shaken, see the first photo of the disgraced prince

February 19, 2026

Angeliki Frangou: A new global order is taking shape and reshaping shipping

February 19, 2026

Adonis Georgiadis on the incidents in Nikaia: “They would have killed me without the riot police

February 19, 2026

“My uncle and cousin brought the winery to zero, I will request a management audit,” says Apostolos Spyropoulos

February 19, 2026

Cyprus: Police uncover safe house with 220 kg of cocaine and cannabis, seize weapons and explosives worth over €7 million

February 19, 2026

What the peoples are proud of: Greeks proud of history, Italians proud of culture and Turks proud of their patriotism

February 19, 2026
All News

> World

Prince Andrew released – Leaves the police station visibly shaken, see the first photo of the disgraced prince

Remained in custody for 12 hours - No information from police on what will happen next

February 19, 2026

“I love him, leave him alone, don’t call him a racist”: An African-American woman defended Trump and praised him at the White House

February 19, 2026

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

February 19, 2026

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

February 19, 2026

Medvedev: Zelensky is a useful idiot, as long as he stays in power, Ukraine is shrinking

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα