×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
18
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 23°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Saudi Arabia demands $6 billion for the release of Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal, one of the richest men in the world!

Many of the others have since been released, with reports that many have paid for their freedom

Newsroom December 27 01:44

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Authorities in Saudi Arabia are demanding $6 billion from Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal, one of the richest men in the world, in return for his release after he was arrested in an anti-corruption purge last month in Riyadh.

The prince, who is the 57th richest man in the world, was one of dozens of businessmen, royals and government officials detained last month in the capital’s Ritz Carlton hotel in a move led by the country’s crown prince Mohammad Bin Salman.

Many of the others have since been released, with reports that many have paid for their freedom, but the fee demanded for Prince Al-Waleed is believed to be one of the highest.

Allegations leveled against Prince Al-Waleed included extortion, bribery and money laundering. Prince Al-Waleed is believed to be worth some $18.7 billion, and has accrued a vast portfolio that includes holdings in Citi Bank, Disney, Twitter and London’s Savoy hotel.

But he has reportedly refused to pay any such fee for his release, claiming that paying such a fee would amount to an admission of guilt. It is also believed that the fee could lead to the dismantling of much of the business empire he has spent his life building.

A source close to the prince told The Wall Street Journal “He wants a proper investigation. It is expected that al-Waleed will give [Prince Bin Salman] a hard time”.

The $6 billion figure was reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Last month, Prince Mutaib Bin Abdullah, the son of the late King Abdullah and head of the country’s National Guard, who was also caught up in the purge was released after paying a reported $1 billion. In total, 320 people were arrested.

>Related articles

New tension between Russia and Japan over the Kuril Islands: Moscow summoned the Japanese Ambassador

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

In an interview with the New York Times last month, Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman said that some 10% of government funds had been lost to corruption each year since 1980.

He said that 95% of those caught up in the corruption probe had agreed to such settlements, but said: “About 1% are able to prove they are clean and their case is dropped right there. About four percent say they are not corrupt and with their lawyers want to go to court.”

Source: yahoo.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#arrested#corruption#Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman#freed#King Abdullah#politics#richest#Saudi Arabia#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Oil: 2.5% surge with Brent above $90, US-Iran standoff fuels $100 scenarios

August 18, 2026

New tension between Russia and Japan over the Kuril Islands: Moscow summoned the Japanese Ambassador

August 18, 2026

Budget: Primary surplus at €5.725 billion in the January–July 2026 period

August 17, 2026

Japanese rating agency R&I upgrades outlook for Greek economy from stable to positive

August 17, 2026

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

August 17, 2026

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

August 17, 2026

How Kim Jong Un circumvented sanctions and funneled up to $22 billion into Pyongyang’s coffers

August 17, 2026

Private helicopter crashes on Sifnos – Three passengers dead

August 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα