×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
19
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 19°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Culture

Ridley Scott “should be ashamed” of treatment of Kevin Spacey, says Bertolucci

Berolucci’s comments were greeted with “much applause” from the audience, according to the Hollywood Reporter

Newsroom May 3 11:04

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Bernardo Bertolucci has said that Ridley Scott “should be ashamed” over the decision to cut Kevin Spacey from his drama All the Money in the World.

Scott made the last-minute decision to remove Spacey from the completed film last autumn after the actor and former Old Vic artistic director was accused of sexual harassment and assault by a number of men. Spacey’s scenes were reshot at great expense, with Christopher Plummer replacing him in the role of billionaire J Paul Getty.

Yet, speaking at the world premiere of the restored version of his 1972 drama Last Tango in Paris at the Bari international film festival, Bertolucci was critical of the decision, according to the Italian newspaper il Giornale (via Deadline).

“When I learned that Ridley Scott had agreed to eliminate the scenes of All the Money in the World in which Kevin Spacey was playing, I sent a message to editor Peter Scalia to tell Scott that he should be ashamed,” the Italian director said. “And then I immediately wanted to make a film with Spacey.”

Berolucci’s comments were greeted with “much applause” from the audience, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The director later went on to add that he supported the #MeToo movement, and praised it for “bringing awareness to violence against women around the world”.

Spacey is currently under investigation by prosecutors in Los Angeles and London over the allegations against him, which were instigated in October by actor Anthony Rapp, who claims that Spacey made sexual advances against him when he was 14. Spacey apologized to Rapp for any “inappropriate drunken behaviour” but said that he did not remember the encounter.

Further allegations against the actor followed, with the Old Vic revealing that 20 people had alleged inappropriate behaviour by Spacey while he was the theatre’s artistic director. Aside from his response to Rapp, Spacey has declined to comment on the other allegations made against him.

>Related articles

Lily Collins in Mykonos for the filming of Emily in Paris – the €20,000-per-week villa

International Museum Day 2026: Free admission and exciting events at museums across Greece

13th AGON International Archaeological and Cultural Documentary Festival: Coming with 62 films from around the world

Bertolucci was himself the subject of widespread criticism in 2016 after revealing that the infamous rape scene in Last Tango in Paris was shot without the consent of actor Maria Schneider. Bertolucci claimed that he did not inform Schneider of the scene, in which Marlon Brando’s character uses a stick of butter as lubricant to rape her character, as he “wanted her reaction as a girl, not as an actress”.

The director later claimed that the controversy had been based on a “ridiculous misunderstanding”.

Source: yahoo

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Bertolucci#cinema#culture#film#Kevin Spacey#movies#Ridley Scott
> More Culture

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Maria Karystianou’s “pro-Russian influences”: The businessman, the professor, the journalist

May 19, 2026

The sister of Ireland’s president is among the Gaza activists arrested by Israel

May 18, 2026

Trump is threatening again: No concessions to Tehran – They know what will happen

May 18, 2026

Polakis: I was and will always be SYRIZA, it’s a joke to be an independent MP

May 18, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the General Assembly of the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises (SETE)

May 18, 2026

Taiwan excluded from the WHO Annual General Assembly at the request of China

May 18, 2026

Deviation from the EU over the non-recognition of the Pontic Genocide, says Nikitas Kaklamanis

May 18, 2026

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα