×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 8°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Russia launches criminal investigation after Prague removes Soviet military statue

The statue to Marshal Ivan Konev is reviled by some in Prague as a symbol of the decades of Communist rule that followed the war

Newsroom April 10 10:04

Russia said on Friday it had opened a criminal investigation after Czech authorities dismantled the statue of a Soviet military commander last week despite Moscow’s protests, escalating a rancorous diplomatic row over the issue.

The statue to Marshal Ivan Konev, who led Red Army forces during World War Two that drove Nazi troops from Czechoslovakia, is reviled by some in Prague as a symbol of the decades of Communist rule that followed the war.

But in Moscow Konev is lionised by authorities as a war hero, and the removal of his statue was cast as a diplomatic insult and part of what Russia sees as a dangerous attempt to rewrite history.

The statue to Konev, who also played a leading role in crushing the 1956 Hungarian uprising and building the Berlin Wall in 1961, was taken down on April 3 by municipal Prague authorities who said they planned to put it in a museum.

See Also:

April 10th 1826: The heroic Exodus of Missolonghi

Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu has appealed to Czech Defence Minister Lubomír Metnar to intercede, asking that the statue be sent back to Moscow.

>Related articles

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

Russia would be prepared to pay for transport or any other costs, the ministry said.

“We expect information from you about the place and time of its handing over,” Shoigu said in a defence ministry statement late on Thursday.

Read more: Reuters

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#berlin wall#communism#crisis#Czechoslovakia#diplomacy#diplomatic incident#history#military#nazis#negotiations#politics#prague#russia#Soviet Union#statue#world#WWII
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026
All News

> World

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

The supply of oil to the largest Caribbean island, with a population of nearly 11 million, has dropped dramatically over the past two months

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα