×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 23°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Politics

Turkish minister says US behind 2016 failed coup attempt

“It is blatantly clear the United States is behind July 15. It was FETO who carried it out upon their orders”, he said!

Newsroom February 4 10:17

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Turkey’s interior minister accused the United States on Thursday of being behind a 2016 failed coup that Ankara has blamed on a U.S.-based Muslim preacher, the Hurriyet daily reported, at a time when Turkey is seeking improved ties with its NATO ally.

More than 250 people were killed in the attempt to overthrow President Tayyip Erdogan and his government on July 15, 2016 when rogue soldiers commandeered warplanes, helicopters and tanks to seize state institutions.

Ankara has long blamed preacher Fethullah Gulen, a former ally of Erdogan who lives in Pennsylvania, and launched a widespread crackdown on his network, which Ankara refers to by the acronym ‘FETO’. Gulen denies any involvement.

See Also:

Mitsotakis at Europe 2021: The pandemic did not stop our reform plan

Egypt: 2,000-year-old mummy with golden tongue – He would “speak” to the god of the Underworld (photos)

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told Hurriyet the United States had managed the coup attempt while Gulen’s network carried it out, adding “Europe was enthusiastic about it”, reaffirming a view he said he had been expressing since the putsch.

>Related articles

New NSA documents: MiG fighter jets chased UFOs during the Cold War (docs)

Beleris on the Genocide of the Pontians: recognition of the crimes of the past is a prerequisite for stability in our region

Zakharova on U.S. prosecution of Raul Castro: “We will continue to provide support to Cuba”

“It is blatantly clear the United States is behind July 15. It was FETO who carried it out upon their orders”, he said.

U.S. officials were not immediately available for comment, but Washington has previously denied any involvement. It has repeatedly rejected Turkish demands for Gulen’s extradition, citing a lack of credible evidence from Ankara.

Read more: Reuters

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#diplomacy#failed coup attempt#Fethullah Gulen#FETO#Hurriyet#military#NATO#politics#Suleyman Soylu#turkey#Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan#usa#war#world
> More Politics

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

New NSA documents: MiG fighter jets chased UFOs during the Cold War (docs)

May 21, 2026

Laptop, Coffee, Designer Bites: The 30 Most Work-Friendly Cafés in Athens

May 21, 2026

Kraounakis writes a song for Alexis’ “inauguration,” Maria’s “Hope” is coming (with doves, swear words, and some mysterious figures), Nikos A.’s anxiety, the suitors of DELTA and CVC

May 21, 2026

SpaceX launches Starship again: Why this test is crucial for NASA’s lunar plans and Elon Musk’s company

May 21, 2026

Beleris on the Genocide of the Pontians: recognition of the crimes of the past is a prerequisite for stability in our region

May 21, 2026

Zakharova on U.S. prosecution of Raul Castro: “We will continue to provide support to Cuba”

May 21, 2026

Meningitis confirmed in student hospitalized in Rio

May 21, 2026

Mytilineos: Metlen enters its new growth phase from a position of strength, EBITDA target €2 billion

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα