×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
18
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 27°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

German blunder in the Red Sea: their frigate tried to bomb an American drone worth $30 million

They didn't know who the drone belonged to - Harsh criticism from the opposition - Bild calls it an "embarrassing" event - Concerns about the frigate's capabilities, fears even of its withdrawal due to lack of ammunition

Newsroom February 28 10:04

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Incredible double accident for the German Navy off the coast of Yemen. As reported by Bild, which describes the incident as “embarrassing” on Monday night, a drama unfolded around the frigate “Hessen”, which is on a mission in the Red Sea.

The German warship’s radar systems mistakenly identified a drone circling overhead as hostile.

The Hessen then fired two missiles at it. In reality, however, the drone was an American MQ-9 Reaper drone (wingspan of 20 metres, costing 30 million euros). Fortunately for the Americans, the two German SM2 interceptor missiles failed to reach their target for technical reasons and crashed into the sea without hitting anything.

The Reaper drone was flying at an altitude of 12,000 metres. The maximum operational altitude of the German SM-2 anti-aircraft missile is over 20,000 metres.

A US military MQ-9 Reaper drone

Defense Ministry spokesman Michael Stebble confirmed Wednesday that the drone that was targeted and fired upon could not initially be attributed to any of the allied states.

Hesse then attempted to shoot down the drone, but was unsuccessful. “The case has been cleared up as it was not a drone that was hostile, as it only turned out afterwards,” he said.

Stempfle did not say to which country the drone was subsequently attributed.

However, military analyst Thomas Wiegold revealed the drone’s origin and type.

A spokesman for the German Federal Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday that a query had been made by “Hesse” to allied states before the launch without receiving confirmation.

Only later did it emerge that it was an undeclared drone.

It is known that US military drones are travelling in the area and have nothing to do with the operation in the Red Sea.

Meanwhile, Florian Hahn (CSU), defense policy spokesman for the CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the German parliament, warns of a possible ammunition problem:

“We have just now learned on request that some of the ammunition of the frigate ‘Hessen’ can apparently no longer be replenished because the corresponding industrial capacity no longer exists,” the politician told the WELT newspaper.

??? | BREAKING

The #German Navy’s first real combat operation after WW2 begins with an embarrassment

The German frigate Hessen mistakenly attacked a #US MQ-9 Reaper drone in the Red Sea, but the missiles malfunctioned before hitting the drone pic.twitter.com/CtXAYqfCzZ

— Southern Africa Eye (@eye_southern) February 28, 2024

“So if the stocks are empty, the navy can no longer replenish them – and must withdraw the frigate,” Hahn added.

Concerns about the frigate’s capabilities as well.

Meanwhile, Florian Hahn (CSU), the defense policy spokesman for the CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the Bundestag, warned of a possible ammunition problem on the frigate.

>Related articles

Why the 5,000 sailors aboard the aircraft carrier “Lincoln” have reached their limits: Nine months at sea, exhaustion, and suicidal tendencies

Trump: Very soon I will declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory

Zelensky asks for 10% of the US’ Patriot stockpile so Ukraine can defend itself against Russia

“We have just now learned on request that some of the ammunition on the frigate ‘Hessen’ can apparently no longer be replenished because the corresponding industrial capacity no longer exists,” the politician told the WELT newspaper.

“So if the stocks are empty, the navy can no longer replenish them – and has to withdraw the frigate,” Hahn added. The defence expert accused the ruling coalition of hiding this fact from the opposition for months.

“The parliament therefore decided on the deployment without knowing that there is obviously a problem with the 124-class frigate’s ammunition,” Hahn said.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#germany#US
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The billionaires’ mega-luxury bunkers in the Swiss Alps: storing valuable assets 100 meters underground

August 18, 2026

Turkey provokes Greece: 25 violations of Greek airspace and mock dogfight over the Aegean

August 18, 2026

“I was ashamed to be a Turkish Cypriot”: Former MEP apologises over the killings of Isaak and Solomou

August 18, 2026

IVF scandal in occupied northern Cyprus: British parents chose donors, but DNA tests told a different story

August 18, 2026

Greek islands became world-famous film locations decades before movie tourism took off

August 18, 2026

Russia reportedly rearming Iran via Caspian Sea with TNT, ammunition and drone components

August 18, 2026

Historic 9.7% fall in violent crime in US as homicide rate hits 70-year low

August 18, 2026

Diddy on the witness list for the Tupac murder trial, as prosecutors link him to the defendant

August 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα