×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
19
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 32°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Middle East: Outrage over the massacre of 12 dead children – Fears of escalation, Israeli reprisals, and Hezbollah threats

"Surpassed every red line," says Israel about Hezbollah - Threats from Benjamin Netanyahu and calls from the international community for restraint - Hezbollah denies involvement - Photos & videos

Newsroom July 28 01:10

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

At least 12 children and young people were killed on Saturday when multiple rockets struck a village in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights, Israeli officials said, in an attack that has sparked fears of a significant escalation in the long-standing conflict.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1817355974576894434/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1817355974576894434%7Ctwgr%5Ecd3523f8ad30baf0f6e5ea9a12a3f7865c085d23%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.protothema.gr%2Fworld%2Farticle%2F1524484%2Fmesi-anatoli-orgi-gia-to-makeleio-me-ta-12-nekra-paidia-fovoi-gia-klimakosi-adipoina-israil-kai-apeiles-sti-hezbolah%2F

The IDF responded later on Saturday night by striking Hezbollah facilities, which denies initially attacking.

Targets included weapon depots and other infrastructure in Samricha and Burj el-Shemali near Tyre, the Bekaa Valley, and the areas of Kafr Kila, Raba al-Talatine, Khiam, and Tair Harfa in southern Lebanon.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry stated on Sunday that Hezbollah “crossed all red lines” with the deadly hit on the football field, resulting in the deaths of 12 people, mostly minors.

מטוסי קרב תקפו במהלך הלילה שורת מטרות טרור של ארגון הטרור חיזבאללה ברחבי לבנון.

בין המטרות שהותקפו בעומק ובדרום לבנון, מצבורי אמל"ח ותשתיות טרור במרחבים שבריחה, בורג' א-שמאלי, בקאע, כפר כילא, רב א-תלתין, אל-חיאם וטיר חרפא pic.twitter.com/nUpOGqTWtK

— צבא ההגנה לישראל (@idfonline) July 28, 2024

“The Saturday massacre constitutes a crossing of all red lines by Hezbollah. This is not an army fighting another army but a terrorist organization deliberately targeting civilians,” the ministry said in a statement.

The ministry claimed that “an Iranian missile” caused the death of “our boys and girls.” “Hezbollah is the only terrorist organization that has these rockets in its arsenal,” it said. “Israel will exercise its right and duty to act in self-defense and will respond to the massacre.”

מגדל שמס הרבה ילדים במצב אנוש pic.twitter.com/SnsTGeWKGf

— כל החדשות בזמן אמת ? (@Saher95755738) July 27, 2024

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had earlier vowed that Hezbollah would “pay a heavy price.”

Mohammad Afif, a senior Hezbollah official, denied responsibility for the strike that hit Majdal Shams, speaking to Reuters. In a statement, the Iran-backed militant organization said it had “absolutely no connection to the incident,” accusing hostile media of “false claims.” On Sunday, Iran warned Israel against what it called a “new adventure” in Lebanon, according to a statement by Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani.

Fears of a dangerous escalation

>Related articles

FT: Iran considers strikes on U.S. targets in Europe, with Cyprus and Bulgaria in the “Crosshairs”

Russia reportedly rearming Iran via Caspian Sea with TNT, ammunition and drone components

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

The United States, leading diplomatic efforts to de-escalate the conflict at the Lebanon-Israel border (while also equipping Israel), condemned the attack as horrific but did not directly blame Hezbollah.

The White House statement noted that US support for Israel’s security is unwavering and that “they will continue to support efforts to end these horrific attacks along the Blue Line, which must be a top priority.” The Blue Line refers to the border between Lebanon and Israel, monitored by the UN peacekeeping mission known as UNIFIL.

UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert and UNIFIL force commander Major General Aroldo Lázaro warned that further intensification of attacks “could trigger a broader conflagration that would plunge the entire region into a catastrophe beyond imagination.” They urged maximum restraint from all sides, adding that they are in contact with both Israel and Lebanon.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#children#Hezbollah#israel#Middle East
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Do you write using Artificial Intelligence? Soon everyone will be able to know about it

August 19, 2026

Who is Natalie Harp, Trump’s “shadow” who once climbed into a car boot to keep up with him

August 19, 2026

Former Fauci adviser pleads guilty to concealing records related to coronavirus

August 19, 2026

New €4.5 million fireboat that operates in rough seas and reaches speeds of 32 knots, reaches Lavrio

August 19, 2026

Elafonisi packed with visitors: Large crowds at the popular beach in Crete — see photos

August 19, 2026

Fire breaks out in Zagori, Ioannina, helicopter joins battle against the flames

August 19, 2026

Bank of Greece: Central government cash primary surplus at €3.6 billion in the first seven months

August 19, 2026

Pentagon considering moving Patriot system to Crete following Iran threats to strike European targets

August 19, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα