×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Floods in Spain: ‘We wished we had been warned to save ourselves’ – Residents in Valencia erupt

217 dead - New red alert for severe weather in Valencia

Newsroom November 4 07:21

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said today he understood the anguish and suffering of those affected by the floods earlier this week, but condemned “all forms of violence” after the incidents that marked his visit as well as King Philip VI’s visit to one of the affected towns.

According to Spanish public television (TVE), which showed images of the vehicle, the rear window of Sandez’s car was broken, and the prime minister was subjected to numerous insults and insults from the crowd at the Paiporte.


“I would like to express our solidarity and say that the Spanish government recognizes the anguish and suffering” of those affected, the socialist leader told the press after meeting with rescue operations officials in Valencia.

It is noted that according to the newest report, the death toll from the floods has reached 217.

At the same time, residents in Paiporta are lashing out, stressing that no one didn’t warn them. “We only ask for help, we don’t ask for anything else,” Julia Chisert stressed while thanking volunteers for their solidarity.

“We have endured enough, you understand, we have endured enough – that’s all we wanted, we wanted to be warned to save ourselves,” she added.

New red alert for severe weather in Valencia

The National Meteorological Service (Aemet) has issued a new “red alert” for the southern coast of Valencia between 6 pm and 11 pm, with a possible 90 liters/m2, or 9cm of rain to fall, within an hour, citing the possibility of “high intensity” storms.

As the first drops of rain fell in the southern part of the city, police warned residents over the loudspeaker of this new alert and the risk of heavy rainfall and asked them to return to their homes.

The same scene unfolded in other areas of the city, including the Torre district of Valencia.

Fierce attack on Felipe, Letitia, and Sanchez, objects and mud thrown at them

It will be recalled that earlier, unprecedented scenes unfolded in the city of Paiporta, where King Felipe, Queen Letitia, and Pedro Sanchez were visiting. Angry residents of the city of Valencia, affected by the floods, exploded. As the convoy of dignitaries passed by, several citizens began throwing objects and mud, surprising the security men, who were caught completely off guard.

‼️ Lanzan objetos y fango al rey a su llegada a Paiporta: “¡Asesinos!”https://t.co/WdBMbvISwd pic.twitter.com/GAwqOnZuWz

— elDiario.es (@eldiarioes) November 3, 2024

Residents then erupted in shouting: “Murderers! Murderers!” while calling for the resignation of Pedro Sanchez. “People are dying and now you come along,” protested residents, who have been trying to clean up their homes for five days and feel the institutions have abandoned them. “Go away we have lost everything,” it was heard.

‼️ Lanzan objetos y fango al rey a su llegada a Paiporta: “¡Asesinos!”https://t.co/WdBMbvISwd pic.twitter.com/GAwqOnZuWz

— elDiario.es (@eldiarioes) November 3, 2024

Pedro Sanchez was the first to leave badly, as soon as the attack began, as residents shouted as soon as he arrived and headed for the prime minister’s car. Immediately, he was removed by his security men.

Spanish media reported that the prime minister’s decision to personally escort the royal couple, rather than a minister, during his visit caused outrage among residents who protested that the army arrived in the city just as the visit was taking place.

>Related articles

The Spain’s royal couple will attend a ceremony in Valencia in honour of the victims of the floods

“Paid climate leave” approved by Spanish Government in the wake of Valencia floods

Floods in Valencia: Which areas of Attica would be most at risk from a similar event

The king and queen kept walking and tried, as El Pais reports, to talk to locals. However, they were not allowed to enter the Paiport, while they remained outside. Residents even threw stones at the car in which the Spanish monarch was leaving, who continued to stay and talk to people.

Aldarulls violents en la visita dels reis a la zona zero de la #DANACV.

➕ Amplia la informació en el minut a minut sobre la #DANACV: https://t.co/wvPRlhkZxO pic.twitter.com/6S7S1WyZyy

— À Punt NTC (@apuntnoticies) November 3, 2024

Then the angry residents threw buckets at the king, who asked his entourage not to protect him with umbrellas. The visit was postponed. Queen Letitia was also subjected to disapproval and mud in the face. “How can they not feel that way? How can they not be pissed off?” said Letitia to the ABC in a clear attempt to amuse.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Fierce attack on Felipe#Floods in Spain#Queen Letitia#Valencia
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

February 17, 2026

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Pierrakakis: The international role of the euro is the strategic response to the economic challenges facing Europe

February 17, 2026

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

February 17, 2026

40-year record for Mediterranean monk seal births in Greece – watch the video

February 17, 2026

Which Greek island ranks among the world’s 13 top destinations for slow travel

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

Everyone knew, those responsible discussed it, management did nothing – This is the conclusion drawn from the testimonies of employees at the Violanta factory presented by protothema.gr

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026

“I am the boss and you will do what I tell you”: The chilling testimony of the plumber who installed the pipe at the Violanta factory

February 17, 2026

A man of shadows: The wing commander who spied for China is stripped of his Greek citizenship

February 17, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα