×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Politics

The Parliament debate on the OPEKEPE case

Two former Ministers of Rural Development, Makis Voridis and Lefteris Avgenakis, may be referred for preliminary investigation over the OPEKEPE subsidy scandal

Newsroom July 30 03:37

The Greek Parliament is currently debating whether to launch a preliminary investigation against Voridis and Avgenakis. This follows allegations about mismanagement and potential corruption involving agricultural subsidies distributed through OPEKEPE (the Greek agency handling EU farm payments).

Background

Opposition parties PASOK and SYRIZA have accused the two former ministers of facilitating or turning a blind eye to questionable subsidy practices—such as people receiving money for pastures in unrealistic or unrelated locations (like mountaintops or areas far from where they live).

The ruling party, New Democracy (ND), argues that the issues are long-standing and not limited to one party. They point out that members of PASOK were also involved, and criticize PASOK for calling a policy “legal” when it benefitted their people, but “criminal” when it didn’t.

Makis Voridis’s Response

Voridis defended himself by saying:

  • He only agreed to apply a ministerial decision that was legal at the time.
  • His name is barely mentioned in the case documents.
  • He simply asked a subordinate (Mr. Varra) to resign—something that is not a crime.
  • He believes the case against him has no legal basis.

Lefteris Avgenakis’s Response

Avgenakis stated:

  • He has never declared any pasture land or received subsidies.
  • The case files contain no conversations or evidence involving him.
  • His name was only mentioned by the former OPEKEPE president, Evangelos Simandrakos—who he claims had a conflict of interest due to business ties and PASOK connections.
  • He called for Simandrakos’ resignation over poor management and “black payments,” not because of any subsidy issue.
  • He later ordered an audit of 16,560 blocked tax numbers (AFMs), which led to legal action in 730 cases.

Avgenakis also accused PASOK MP Manolis Chnaras of personally benefiting from questionable subsidies while overseeing the agricultural sector in Crete.

What the Government Says

ND argues that:

  • The current case files show no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by the ministers.
  • A preliminary investigation would be pointless at this stage.
  • If the opposition insists on pushing for a vote, ND may abstain to let them take full political responsibility.

According to Greek law, once a request for investigation is rejected, it cannot be resubmitted—even if new evidence appears later.

Examination Committee Approved

Earlier this week, Parliament approved ND’s proposal to form a broader examination committee to investigate how the agricultural subsidy system has functioned since 1998. This was passed with a wider majority (166 MPs), with support from ND, Plevsi Eleftherias and five independent MPs.

>Related articles

An overview of PASOK’s expansion: Renewal drawing on established figures from previous political traditions

Mitsotakis: Parties should enter dialogue on the Constitution without dogmatism – Zero tolerance for migrant smugglers

Key takeaways from Mitsotakis interview: Alliances, pressure on PASOK, and voters’ dilemmas

Prime Minister’s Remarks

During the long debate, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis urged opposition parties to support the examination committee instead of focusing on a legally weak preliminary investigation.

He criticized PASOK leader Nikos Androulakis for double standards and said PASOK today is like a poor version of its 1980s self.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Greek politics#OPEKEPE
> More Politics

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026

The execution of the 200 in Kaisariani by German occupation forces: The stories and relics of the fallen

February 16, 2026

St. Peter’s Basilica Square to fully open to the public, café to double in size, real-time booking system to be introduced

February 16, 2026

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026
All News

> Economy

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

CEO of Bally’s Intralot, talks on structural advantage, responsibility at scale, and how disciplined growth is redefining the global gaming industry

February 16, 2026

How the ring operated that opened and shut down restaurants and bars using “straw men” to evade VAT and social-security contributions—dismantled by the AADE

February 15, 2026

Contracts with Chevron–Helleniq Energy to be signed tomorrow: When seismic surveys begin

February 15, 2026

Countdown to tax returns: What taxpayers need to check in the pre-filled data

February 14, 2026

From Faliro to Voula: Who is building the Athenian Riviera

February 13, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα