×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

Spain, Greece and Slovenia have also said they are working towards a ban after Australia's world-leading performance.

Newsroom February 16 01:57


The UK may impose, perhaps within the year, a ban on the use of social media by children under 16 similar to that of Australia, thus closing a legal loophole that has left some Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbots outside security regulations, as part of the government’s effort to address digital risks more quickly.

Prime Minister Kir Starmer’s government launched a consultation last month on banning the use of social media for children under 16 and is now working to change the legislation so that changes can be made within months of the consultation being completed.

Spain, Greece and Slovenia have also said they are working towards a ban following Australia’s world-leading ban on users under 16.

The scrutiny has intensified further since it was revealed that AI chatbox Grok, run by Elon Musk, was producing sexualised images of people without consent.

Growing global pressure on social media platforms

In Britain, the 2023 Cyber Security Bill is one of the strictest security regimes in the world, but it does not cover in-person interaction with AI chatbots unless users share information with other users, a legal loophole that technology minister Liz Kendall has said will soon be closed.

Britain cannot allow regulatory loopholes to continue as the law took nearly eight years to be passed and implemented, the minister said.

“I am concerned about these AI chatbots…as is the prime minister, about the impact they have on children and youth,” Kendall told Times Radio, adding that some children are entering into personal relationships with AI systems, but they are not designed with children’s safety in mind.

She said the government would present its proposals before June.

Speaking to the British media today, Kendall said technology companies would be responsible for ensuring their systems comply with British law.

The government will also consult on the changes needed for an automated data retention application in the event of a child’s death, which would allow investigators to secure critical online evidence, a measure long sought by victims’ families.

The consultation will also consider possible powers to tackle “stranger pairing” on games consoles as well as blocking the sending and receiving of images of nude content.

The new measures will be tabled for consideration in parliament as an amendment to existing legislation on crime and child protection.

While aimed at protecting children, such measures often have collateral effects on adults’ privacy and ability to access services, and have caused tension in relations with the US over free speech limits and regulatory reach.

>Related articles

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

Some major pornography websites have blocked British users rather than carrying out age checks, but this blocking can be circumvented by using available virtual private networks, which the government is considering banning for minors.

Many parents and online safety advocates support banning social media to children, but Kendall said some child protection organisations are concerned that this will push harmful actions into less regulated spaces or create a steep “cliff edge” at 16.

The minister added that the government still needed a legal definition for social media before any ban could come into force.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#social media#UK#underage#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026
All News

> Economy

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

CEO of Bally’s Intralot, talks on structural advantage, responsibility at scale, and how disciplined growth is redefining the global gaming industry

February 16, 2026

How the ring operated that opened and shut down restaurants and bars using “straw men” to evade VAT and social-security contributions—dismantled by the AADE

February 15, 2026

Contracts with Chevron–Helleniq Energy to be signed tomorrow: When seismic surveys begin

February 15, 2026

Countdown to tax returns: What taxpayers need to check in the pre-filled data

February 14, 2026

From Faliro to Voula: Who is building the Athenian Riviera

February 13, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα