The governments of the US and Iran stated today that they are seeking to finalize a deal to end the war and that progress has been made in talks. US President Donald Trump claimed that negotiations are “largely completed” and that the text, still pending signature, will ensure the “reopening” of the Strait of Hormuz.
US media emphasize that the agreement would allow commercial ships to once again pass through this maritime artery, which is vital to the global economy, and would ease sanctions that are suffocating the Iranian economy. However, the sensitive issue of Iran’s nuclear energy program remains unresolved and will be addressed in later negotiations.
According to a CBS News report citing sources familiar with the talks, the latest US proposal includes the release of some Iranian funds frozen in foreign banks and a continuation of negotiations for another 30 days. The Wall Street Journal also reported the same timeframe.
The potential agreement does not resolve how Iran will deal with its stockpile of highly enriched uranium, which is expected to be discussed in a later round of negotiations “in the coming weeks or months,” according to the New York Times citing a source in the Trump administration.
An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson said yesterday that Tehran is in the “finalization phase” of a protocol agreement with the US.
However, he added that this does not necessarily mean both sides will reach agreement on the major issues, clarifying that the nuclear program has not yet been included in the draft agreement at this stage.
The deal is expected to include the lifting of the US naval blockade on Iranian ports and a resolution of the Strait of Hormuz issue, which has been de facto blocked by the Iranian military since the war in the Middle East began, triggered by a US–Israeli attack on the Islamic Republic on February 28.
Possible new round of talks in Pakistan
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, acting as a mediator in the negotiations, suggested that a deal may be close, saying: “We hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”
The first—and so far only inconclusive—round of negotiations took place in Islamabad on April 11, with participants including US Vice President JD Vance and senior Iranian officials such as parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, an influential former Revolutionary Guards commander, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.
“The phone is ringing”
According to the report, the US president said the agreement has been largely completed and only needs to be finalized, including the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. He made the comments after calls with leaders from Gulf states, as well as Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Pakistan.
Donald Trump also said he spoke separately with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and that the call “went very well,” according to a post on Truth Social. US media have recently reported diverging positions between the two leaders, with Trump reportedly pushing for a diplomatic solution while Netanyahu favors resuming military operations.
The apparent rapprochement between the warring sides follows weeks of deadlock and threats.
Earlier, Trump estimated there was a “50–50” chance of either a good agreement or a resumption of military operations, according to Axios.
Meanwhile, Iran’s chief negotiator warned that Tehran would respond “overwhelmingly” if the US resumes the war.
He met with Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, in Tehran as part of Islamabad’s mediation efforts.
“Peaceful solutions”
After more than a month of hostilities with thousands dead—mostly in Iran and Lebanon, where the Hezbollah movement operates—despite a ceasefire declared on April 8, tensions remain high.
In the Gulf, diplomatic efforts continue to ensure talks succeed and prevent a return to war. During a call with Trump, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani urged him to “prioritize peaceful solutions.”
Qatar, along with other Gulf oil monarchies that are key US allies, was targeted by Iranian strikes during the hostilities.
The US president is reportedly seeking an exit strategy from a war that is unpopular in the United States and is increasingly disrupting the global economy, particularly due to the closure of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, through which about one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas exports normally pass.
Some Iranians are openly expressing exhaustion. “The situation of ‘neither war nor peace’ is much worse than war itself. You can’t do anything—not even something as simple as joining a gym,” said 39-year-old Sarzhan in a phone interview with AFP.
In another main front of the war, Lebanon, despite the ceasefire that has supposedly been in effect since April 17, the Israeli army—which said it suffered its 22nd casualty since the war began with Hezbollah—continues to carry out bombings and evacuation orders in the south. In Nabatieh, Lebanese civil defense reported the destruction of a regional center in an airstrike, though no casualties were reported among its staff.
Ask me anything
Explore related questions