×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
20
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Detained jihadists planned to attack Rialto Bridge in Venice

Three adults and a girl arrested

Newsroom March 30 04:50

Three adults and a girl have been detained in the centre of Venice as suspects in an alleged jihadist cell.
Police had been monitoring the group from Kosovo for months amid concerns they were planning to join Islamist militants in Syria, reports said.
But police moved in at dawn on Thursday amid fears of a potential attack in the wake of the last week’s murder of four people in London, reports said.
Twelve addresses were raided including 10 in the city’s historic centre.
One of the raids took place close to the famed La Fenice opera house at around 04:00 (02:00 GMT), Italian media said.
Police said all four of those held had Italian residence permits. They said Italy’s specialist Digos crime squad had been investigating the three adults on suspicion of radicalisation.
Two of the three had been working as waiters, one report said.
Italian police apparently tapped communications referring to the 22 March attack at Westminster, when Khalid Masood drove a car into pedestrians and stabbed a police officer outside parliament.
Police decided to move in amid concerns that the alleged cell was planning a similar attack in Venice, possibly targeting a high profile tourist site such as the Rialto bridge over the city’s Grand Canal, Italian media reported.
Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti praised the authorities’ handling of the operation and said it showed their commitment in the fight against terrorism.
Source: bbc.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#arrests#bridge#Islamic terrorists#italy#Rialto#terrorism
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Giannis Aggelakas: Transforms into “The Little Prince” on the Stage of Stegi

February 20, 2026

Greek and Cypriot diplomacy highlighted at AHI policy briefing & breakfast

February 20, 2026

The villa where Brad Pitt is staying on Hydra: It once belonged to Kostas Boutaris, went to auction, and now belongs to famed host Stephen Colbert

February 20, 2026

A close associate of Jeffrey Epstein and recruiter of girls was ready to expose the network, but suddenly…disappeared

February 20, 2026

Eurobank: strategic partnership on artificial intelligence at the India AI Impact Summit 2026

February 20, 2026

European shares: New all-time high could mark the 2026 peak

February 20, 2026

262 photographs documenting the Kaisariani executions confirmed authentic – Ministry of Culture moves to acquire collection

February 20, 2026

“One step from disaster”: the hard-hitting NASA report on the adventure of astronauts Wilmore and Williams

February 20, 2026
All News

> Culture

Giannis Aggelakas: Transforms into “The Little Prince” on the Stage of Stegi

In a musical-theatrical performance directed by Giorgos Gousis

February 20, 2026

The villa where Brad Pitt is staying on Hydra: It once belonged to Kostas Boutaris, went to auction, and now belongs to famed host Stephen Colbert

February 20, 2026

262 photographs documenting the Kaisariani executions confirmed authentic – Ministry of Culture moves to acquire collection

February 20, 2026

What the peoples are proud of: Greeks proud of history, Italians proud of culture and Turks proud of their patriotism

February 19, 2026

Ministry of Culture: Saint George cemetery in Ermoupoli, Syros, protected and enhanced

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα