×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
23
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 37°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Serbian Court Rehabilitates Chetnik Wartime Commander

He was declared war criminal by the Yugoslav Communist regime & died in mysterious circumstances shortly after WWII

Newsroom June 17 11:48

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The High Court in Valjevo, Serbia, on Friday rehabilitated a former Chetnik commander Nikola Kalabic, annulling the Communist-era verdict from 1946 which declared him a “national enemy”.

The Higher Prosecutor’s Office in Valjevo told Beta news agency that it would “certainly appeal” the court ruling.

The request for Kalabic’s rehabilitation was submitted by his granddaughter, Vesna Kalabic, in 2012.

She said that he was not a war criminal and had been a victim of Yugoslavia’s changed ideological circumstances.

He had “died because of political, national and primarily for ideological reasons,” Kalabic said.

The so-called Chetniks represented the Serbian royalist interest in World War II, which lost out to the Communist Partisans, led by Josip Tito, who took over Yugoslavia in 1944/5.

Serbian media reported that Kalabic’s granddaughter gave the court testimony from a retired priest, Mijailo Danilovic, from the town of Gornji Milanovac, who claimed that the new communist secret service, OZNA, killed Kalabic on January 19, 1946, in a cave in a canyon along the river Gradac, near Valjevo.

The court’s decision annuls those of the State Commission for the Investigation of Crimes during World War II and the National Commission for the Investigation of the Crimes of Occupiers and Collaborators.

It also annuls the decision of the municipal court in Mionica from September 11, 1946, which confiscated Kalabic’s property.

Three years earlier, on November 26, Kalabic concluded a formal collaboration agreement with the Nazis, together with other Chetnik leaders.

The State Commission for the Investigation of Crimes during World War II provided a letter dating from April 1943, in which Kalabic allegedly discusses killing nine civilians.

On another occasion, Kalabic reported to the Chetnik leader, Draza Mihailovic, that his forces had killed several people, mostly Romani, in the village of Kopljare in central Serbia.

During the five-year court process in Valjevo, the Higher Public Prosecutor’s Office opposed his rehabilitation, citing legal provisions under which people who were declared war criminals by the State Commission for the Investigation of Crimes during World War II could not be declared innocent.

Kalabic was the commander of a Chetnik unit called the Mountain Guard Corps.

Some historical sources claim that he was one of the Chetnik leaders who on November 26, 1943, concluded a formal collaboration agreement with the representative of the German Military Commander in south-east Europe, Lieutenant-General Hans Felber.

>Related articles

“Like a concentration camp fence”: 65 years since the Berlin Wall was erected

Rare German Second World War wreck discovered in the Ionian Sea, 83 years after it sank, see photos

Belgrade murder: Russian woman found dead in suitcase, Turkish man arrested

A court judgment in the town of Mionica in September 1946, declared Kalabic a “national enemy” and his property was confiscated.

As his remains were never found, nor the place where he was buried, he was officially a missing person for 65 years. In 2011, Kalabic was declared dead by the Basic Court in Valjevo.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Chetnik#communism#Communist Partisans#Josip Tito#Nikola Kalabic#rehabilitation#serbia#WWII#Yugoslav Communist Secret Service OZNA#Yugoslavia
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

US Ambassador to Greece cruises the Ionian islands aboard the world’s largest luxury catamaran

August 23, 2026

Killer of woman outside Nea Smyrni building was married and had a child

August 23, 2026

Man who ran over dog in Corfu may face up to 10 years in prison

August 23, 2026

Future generations won’t be burdened with debt, and dialogue with Turkey isn’t submission, PM writes in Sunday review

August 23, 2026

Iranian hackers knocked out UK power plant for four days, Telegraph reports

August 23, 2026

City of Athens prepares for today’s soaring temperatures with 7 AC spaces and other measures

August 23, 2026

Turkey and Israel’s rivalry raises fears of a dangerous miscalculation in Syria

August 23, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa announces retaliatory tariffs

August 23, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα