×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Politics

Plans to remove the monuments in Skopje and the talks about the name dispute

Gruevski: "Everything that will be destroyed by the social democrat government, will be restored once we return to power"

Newsroom November 16 08:22

 

The monuments of “Alexander the Great”, “Mother Teresa” and “Andon Janev Koseto” will soon be removed from Skopje’s central square. The government has gathered a group of experts who are reviewing the monuments built as part of the “Skopje 2014” project.

The group’s task is to assess the legal aspects of the procedures followed for the construction of the monuments which covered the main space of Skopje’s central square.

“Two reports have been drafted so far and delivered to the minister of Culture. Then, they will be sent to the government in order to decide the fate of these monuments”, says the head of this group, architect Miroslav Grcev.

Grcev says that there are no political agendas in this case, because what the group is doing, is merely assessing that every monument has been erected according to the law. The reports sent to the Ministry of Culture suggest that these monuments be lifted, because there’s a serious breach of the Constitution and laws.

Meanwhile, VMRO-DPMNE is strongly against the plans to remove these monuments.

“The removal of the monuments will be a dangerous step which will cause new divides in our society. But, everything that will be destroyed by the social democrat government, will be restored once we return to power”, says VMRO-DPMNE.

Experts of political affairs say that the plans to remove some of the monuments aim at calming down the relations with Greece regarding the name dispute.

>Related articles

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

Former ambassador Alajdin Demiri says that the removal of the monuments comes after the requests made by the Greeks who want to see Skopje take the first step toward unblocking the negotiations about the name and give way to a solution.

Meanwhile, media in Skopje report that the Greek side is requesting the removal of the monuments of Alexander the Great and Philip II from the center of Skopje and also to change the name of “Alexander the Great” airport, in order to provide a more relaxed atmosphere while launching the talks for the name dispute.

Source: balkaneu.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Alexander the Great#Balkans#diplomacy#elections#eu#Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)#greece#name dispute#NATO#Nikola Gruevski#Philip II#politics#Skopje#statues#UN#UN mediator Matthew Nimitz#VMRO-DPMNE
> More Politics

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

Three years after Tempe, Nikos Plakias opens his home for the first time and speaks to Protothema — “Unfortunately, they painted the train blue, red, green,” “I will neither bring down nor raise governments."

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026

Brief spell of severe weather on Tuesday with strong thunderstorms: What’s behind the shift after yesterday’s southerly winds and dust

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα