×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

London City Airport closed due to WW2 bomb

The airport will be shut all day and all flights cancelled

Newsroom February 12 11:57

London City Airport has been closed after a World War Two bomb was found nearby in the River Thames.
The airport will be shut all day and all flights cancelled, affecting up to 16,000 passengers, a spokeswoman said.
The bomb was discovered on Sunday at George V Dock during pre-planned work at the airport in east London, the Met Police said.
The airport was shut at 22:00 and the Met said it was working with the Royal Navy to remove the device.
According to the airport’s website, a total of 261 arrivals and departures were scheduled for Monday – with 130 flights having been cancelled earlier.
“All flights today are cancelled but some airlines have moved their flights to other airports – CityJet to Southend and Alitalia to Stansted”, the airport said.
Passengers have been told not to travel to the airport as the terminal is closed and to contact their airline.
Robert Sinclair, CEO of the airport, apologised and said: “I recognise this is causing inconvenience for our passengers, and in particular some of our local residents.
“The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police and Royal Navy and working hard to safely remove the device and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.”
Members of airport staff are on Hartmann Road, the main route to the airport, to help redirect people.
Airlines using London City Airport include British Airways, Flybe, CityJet, KLM and Lufthansa, with flights to domestic and European city destinations.
Police said a 214-metre exclusion zone had been set up and properties inside were evacuated, with Newham Council providing temporary emergency accommodation to residents.
“While we endeavour to progress the operation as quickly as possible and minimise disruption, it is important that all of the necessary steps and precautions are taken to ensure it is dealt with safely,” the Met said.
“We would like to thank everyone affected for their patience and cooperation.”
Police said a number of road cordons were in place and advised motorists to avoid the area.
Docklands Light Railway services between the airport and Woolwich Arsenal have also been suspended.

source: BBC

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#airport#london#shot down#Thames#WW2
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The deepest Blue Hole in the oceans has been found: The phenomenon that puzzles experts (video)

February 17, 2026

Inside the Chinese MSS that recruited the Greek Wing Commander: More powerful than the CIA, FBI & MI6 combined

February 17, 2026

Fast-moving storm from the west: Tsatrafyllias warns of flooding in 8 regions

February 17, 2026

Zoe, the MP and the daughter-in-law; two “no’s” to Trump are too many; Optima in talks with Europa Insurance; the lawyers’ shortlist; the new tactic of the funds

February 17, 2026

The second liberation of Northern Epirus by the Hellenic Army and the incredible bravery of Lieutenant Leontokianakos

February 17, 2026

Pavlos De Grec speaks out and intervenes, but is not forming a party: What his plans are

February 17, 2026

Kaisariani documents move into a claim trajectory: Ministry of Culture delegation in Ghent, investigation into whether more material exists

February 17, 2026

The “X-ray” of the 4 Chevron hydrocarbon contracts: Investments up to €1 billion, public revenues up to 40%

February 17, 2026
All News

> Travel

Kimolos wins over International Media: “A hidden gem waiting to be discovered”

Despite its small size, Kimolos is full of character and charm — and now international media are urging travelers to put this Cycladic island on their bucket list

August 28, 2025

French Vogue discovers the exotic beauty of Skopelos

August 28, 2025

Naxos tops the list of Greek kitesurfing destinations for 2025

July 9, 2025

Holidays in Psara

June 20, 2025

Santorini filled with tourists again (photos)

April 12, 2025
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα