×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> technology

Someone drilled through the International Space Station from the inside, astronaut says

The astronauts' quick identification and repair of the hole demonstrated the crew was ready for any developments

Newsroom December 29 07:05

Someone appears to have drilled a hole in the International Space Station from the inside, according to a member of its crew.

One of the Russian cosmonauts who explored the strange gap found in the outside of a capsule attached to the International Space Station said Russian law enforcement is now looking to understand how the opening was drilled from inside the spacecraft.

Sergei Prokopyev said investigators were looking at samples he and crewmate Oleg Kononenko collected during a 12 December spacewalk. Prokopyev and two other astronauts returned to Earth last week from a 197-day space station mission.

The hole in the Russian Soyuz spacecraft attached to the station was spotted on Aug. 30. The crew discovered a leak that was creating a slight loss of pressure and plugged the hole with epoxy and gauze.

Prokopyev said at a news conference the cavity started from the capsule’s interior and “it’s up to the investigative organs to judge when that hole was made.”

>Related articles

“One step from disaster”: the hard-hitting NASA report on the adventure of astronauts Wilmore and Williams

Scientists have created compounds with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties from E.coli bacteria

What qualities does a good astronaut have for the mission to the Moon? The requirements of NASA

The astronauts’ quick identification and repair of the hole demonstrated “the crew was ready for any developments,” he said.

The hole didn’t pose a danger to Prokopyev and crewmates Serena Aunon-Chancellor of NASA and Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency during their return because the section of the capsule it appeared on was jettisoned before the fiery re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#astronauts#esa#hole#International Space Station (ISS)#nasa#science#soyuz#spacecraft#technology
> More technology

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026

Trump raised the new tariffs to 15% on all imports from all countries

February 21, 2026

With the weather on our side for the Carnival parades and Koulouma: “It’s time to unwind,” says Kolydas

February 21, 2026

A wolf attacked a group of walkers at the Royal Estates in Tatoi!

February 21, 2026
All News

> Culture

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

Detailed overview of the planned maintenance work

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Giannis Aggelakas: Transforms into “The Little Prince” on the Stage of Stegi

February 20, 2026

The villa where Brad Pitt is staying on Hydra: It once belonged to Kostas Boutaris, went to auction, and now belongs to famed host Stephen Colbert

February 20, 2026

262 photographs documenting the Kaisariani executions confirmed authentic – Ministry of Culture moves to acquire collection

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα