×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Horror in Malaysia: over 350 arrests in hundreds of child sexual abuse cases

The arrest of 171 people had already been announced on September 11, including religious teachers and other educators.

Newsroom September 22 05:00

Malaysian police said yesterday (Saturday) that they have arrested a total of 355 people as part of an investigation into hundreds of cases of physical and/or sexual abuse of children in reception and shelter homes in the Asian country.

At the heart of this investigation is the business holding group GISB (Global Ikhwan Service and Business Holding), which is accused of not only running these “centres of horror” but also having links to a banned Islamist sect, Al Arkham, which has now been disbanded.

Among those arrested are GISB’s chairman and chief executive, Nasiruddin Ali, and at least 30 employees of the group, always according to police.

Several locations were raided, including charities, health facilities, Islamic seminaries and residences.

The arrest of 171 people on September 11, including “ustaz” (religious teachers) and other educators, had already been announced. Police added that at least 402 children were rescued after searches in 20 homes. Police believe they are children of group workers in Malaysia, explained Inspector General Rajaruddin Hussain.

Initially, the group denied all the allegations and even assured that it did not run the centres involved in the searches, in the states of Selagor and Nekari Sebilan (west).

Then Nasiruddin Ali admitted, on September 14, that there were cases of sexual abuse, “one or two cases of sodomy” in the dormitories, but denied that systematic, mass violence was being recorded.

According to medical reports, at least 13 children suffered sexual violence, according to Inspector General Hussain.

On Tuesday, he announced the freezing of 96 GISB accounts, containing some $124,000 (111,000 euros).

The scandal heightens concern about the fate of children in these homes and the oversight of charities in the country.

The UNICEF, the UN agency responsible for defending children’s rights, condemned the “unimaginable horror” experienced by the young victims.

These children “will need medical and psychological support for an extended period,” Robert Gus, the United Nations Children’s Fund’s representative in Malaysia, said on Thursday.

>Related articles

Iranian authorities arrest protesters hospitalized in hospitals, UN official says

X is down, thousands report problems

Twelve arrests for drink-driving in Attica – Over 22,000 traffic checks in the last four days

The Arkham sect was dissolved by authorities in 1994 as the doctrine it proposed was deemed deviant, and heretical. The GISB group has since been targeted by authorities in the predominantly Muslim country.

In 2011, a scandal also erupted when it became known that he had set up a “Hypocrite Wives Club”, a group that urged women to submit to their husbands “as if they were prostitutes” so they would not cheat on them.

On its website, GISB asserts that it is an Islamic holding group that runs companies such as supermarkets and restaurants in several countries, including Indonesia, Britain and France.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#arrests#child sexual abuse#Malaysia#unicef
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

Three years after Tempe, Nikos Plakias opens his home for the first time and speaks to Protothema — “Unfortunately, they painted the train blue, red, green,” “I will neither bring down nor raise governments."

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026

Brief spell of severe weather on Tuesday with strong thunderstorms: What’s behind the shift after yesterday’s southerly winds and dust

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα