Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to return to Britain is one of the biggest turnarounds in years for the royal family, with the move reportedly catching even King Charles off guard.
According to the BBC royal correspondent Daniela Relph, who cites sources close to the couple, the decision to relocate was made recently, despite the possibility of spending more time in Britain having been discussed previously.
The development follows the Sussex family’s visit to Britain last July, which appears to have marked a turning point. Harry, Meghan and their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, spent time with the King at Highgrove, and also met relatives on the late Princess Diana’s side of the family.
The children’s contact with their aunts, uncles and cousins appears to have strengthened the couple’s wish to move closer to their family roots.
The visit that changed everything
The family trip to Europe, which also included time in Portugal, where the Sussexes own a home, is described by someone close to the couple as “a wonderful moment for the family”. According to the BBC, this experience turned what had been a passing thought about a possible return to Britain into a firm decision.
Sources familiar with the couple’s plans say the move is not linked to any problems in the United States. Instead, it stems from their wish to be closer to Europe and to Harry’s family, as well as to give their children a British education.
According to the same sources, schools have already been chosen for Archie and Lilibet, with the family expected to return to Britain within the next 10 days in time for the start of the school year.
From a California mansion to the British countryside
Although the exact location of their new home has not been made public, the couple are not expected to settle in London. Reports suggest the likelier options are areas of the British countryside, such as the Cotswolds or Northamptonshire, near Althorp, the Spencer family estate where Princess Diana grew up.
The Sussexes therefore appear to be leaving behind their multi-million-dollar mansion in California for a quieter life in the English countryside.

King Charles’s reaction
King Charles played no part in his son and Meghan’s decision. According to the BBC, he was only informed on Sunday of the couple’s plans to return, and the news came as a surprise both to him and to the wider royal family.
Despite the sudden development, the King is said to be pleased at the prospect of spending more private time with Harry, Meghan and his grandchildren.
However, the Sussexes’ return does not mean the door is open to a full reconciliation, particularly between Harry and Prince William. The relationship between the two brothers remains deeply strained, with no sign so far of any reconciliation. The heir to the throne is said not to have got over the airing of family grievances by Harry in his memoir, “Spare”, and the couple’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.
According to Relph, William is unlikely to welcome the Sussexes’ return, fearing it could create fresh tensions and the impression of a “rival camp” within the monarchy.
William’s fury and fears of “two royal courts”
The biggest question mark hangs over Harry’s relationship with Prince William. The two brothers remain estranged following the rift that came after Megxit, Harry’s public statements, the interview with Oprah Winfrey and the publication of his memoir “Spare”, all of which further strained the atmosphere between them.
According to the Telegraph, Prince William, Harry’s elder brother, and his wife Kate had been informed in the previous 24 hours of the return of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. However, the heir to the British throne, from whom Harry has become estranged, had not reacted as of Wednesday evening.
Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said Harry’s surprise return may have caused “apoplexy” for William. “In the longer term, the Sussexes’ return to Britain raises the prospect of two rival courts, William’s and Harry’s. In the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his reconciliation with his father,” Hunt noted. “And his presence in the country will make it harder for his brother to avoid a reconciliation,” he added.

The big question over security
Despite the move, Harry and Meghan will not be returning to active roles as members of the royal family. They remain private citizens and non-working royals, and the Palace has no intention of recreating the “halfway house” arrangement that existed when they stepped back from royal duties in 2020.
Any professional activity they carry out in Britain will be independent of the monarchy. Meghan has already begun efforts to expand her lifestyle brand, “As Ever”, beyond the United States, raising the possibility that her products could end up on shelves alongside those bearing King Charles’s own seal, such as Duchy Organic.
It also remains unclear what will happen with the family’s security arrangements. In the United States, the Sussexes use a private protection team, but it is not known whether this will be brought over to Britain. There is also no word on whether they will seek official police protection from the British authorities again, or whether Harry’s long-running legal battle with the Home Office over the issue has been resolved.
Last year, after losing his legal challenge over his security arrangements in Britain, Harry told the BBC that he could not imagine a situation in which he would return to the country together with his wife and children.

A return with no guarantee of permanence
Harry and Meghan’s return is not, for now, considered permanent. Reports point to an “extended period” in Britain, though further changes in future have not been ruled out.
As the BBC’s royal correspondent put it, the UK will be their home “for now”.
The one certainty is that, as with every move the Sussexes make, public reaction is expected to be divided, with opinion on the couple remaining sharply polarised.
A great test of public opinion
The Sussexes’ return is expected to divide British public opinion once again. The couple’s relationship with the public remains complicated, as their departure from the monarchy was followed by fierce public disputes and revelations about their life within the Palace.
Harry and Meghan married in 2018 and made headlines around the world in January 2020, when they announced their departure from Britain. As early as 2019, Harry had spoken in a documentary about tensions with his brother William. Meghan, an American former actress, had also spoken about the difficulties she faced from the pressure she experienced after becoming a member of the British royal family.
In January 2020, the couple announced via Instagram that they intended to step back from their duties as working members of the royal family, become financially independent and split their time between the United States and Britain. Two months later they settled permanently in California and ceased to be considered working members of the royal family, while also stepping away from using their official titles.
Harry and Meghan are not at all popular in Britain. A YouGov poll conducted in July showed that only 22% of Britons view Meghan favourably, against 65% who hold a negative opinion of the former actress. Meanwhile, just 33% have a favourable view of Harry, with 58% negative.
Ask me anything
Explore related questions