×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 23°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Travel

Crete: The photo of British people who ate in 3 taverns & left without paying has been released

“It's a great place with great people! Same on you!" wrote a British woman

Newsroom September 5 12:58

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The photo of a British couple who allegedly ate in at least three taverns in a Cretan village and then “made a fuss” about the quality of the food, in order not to pay their bill, is published by the Daily Mail.

The man and woman pictured “allegedly finished their meal and drinks at at least 3 restaurants on separate nights in the village of Koutouloufari, in the north of the idyllic Greek island, and then started complaining loudly and refusing to pay”. “The last location they hit is the Ariadni Apartments restaurant”, adds the British newspaper.

According to the Daily Mail, which is appealing for information from its readers to identify the couple, the photo was posted on a Facebook group by an outraged member of staff at Ariadni Apartments, “whose restaurant is famous for its pizzas, seafood and his traditional Greek dishes”. Captioning the post, the person warned local business people to “beware” of the couple refusing to pay their bill after finishing their meal, a “tactic” they have already implemented at three taverns.

As reported by the British newspaper, the post on the group “Koutouloufari For Ever” attracted more than 200 comments, many of which were written by Britons who were outraged by the behavior of their compatriots. “It’s a great place with great people! Same on you!” wrote a British woman. “People like this bring the English into disrepute,” notes another commenter, wishing they would pay for what they’ve done.

The author of one of the comments on the post says he was present at the restaurant the night the incident happened and believes the pair are from Liverpool, while another “eyewitness” disagreed saying he was “sitting across from them” and from their accents understood that he is from the London area.

See Also:

Did the Romans & Greeks really enjoy orgies?

>Related articles

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

The Samaria Gorge opens for visitors

The warning signs of collapsing adolescent mental health that go unnoticed – The tragedy in Ilioupoli that shocked the country

59-year-old Mark Flynn, a former employee of the British Ministry of Defense who has lived in Crete for 16 years, accused his two compatriots of “taking advantage of the kindness of the Greeks”. As he explained to the British newspaper, most restaurants in Greece will avoid taking drastic measures when such an incident occurs and prefer to forget about it, since the majority of their customers are honest people. But this particular couple probably “pulled it off” after doing the same thing in three taverns.

Flynn said that in all the years he has been in our country, he has never heard of British people behaving in such a way. “We are all outraged because the couple’s behavior brings us into disrepute. What happened was not right at all. The Greeks are wonderful people and do not deserve such exploitation.”

One commenter pointed out in the group that she believed the pair had already returned to their country, after her partner had a brief chat with the man – who appeared drunk – on August 29 and the Brit had told him he was traveling the same day.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#british#greece#photo#released#taverna#tourism#travel#visit#world
> More Travel

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

May 18, 2026

The Samaria Gorge opens for visitors

May 18, 2026

The warning signs of collapsing adolescent mental health that go unnoticed – The tragedy in Ilioupoli that shocked the country

May 18, 2026

Analysis: 300 new Cuban drones are causing concern in the U.S., the Trump narrative, and thoughts of intervention

May 18, 2026

Netanyahu confirmed the interception of the Global Sumud flotilla for Gaza

May 18, 2026

Pressing by the tax authority on 2.3 million debtors, new 72-installment scheme coming in June

May 18, 2026

Contacts and agreements to deepen Greece–United Arab Emirates cooperation

May 18, 2026

New leadership at the Greek-Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα