×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
21
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Erdogan calls on Muslims to protect Jerusalem

His statement come after controversy and violence over access to the al-Aqsa mosque in the city's Noble Sanctuary

Newsroom July 25 02:36

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has urged Muslims across the world to “visit” and “protect” Jerusalem.
The leader’s comments on Tuesday came after days of violence sparked over access to the al-Aqsa mosque in the city’s Noble Sanctuary, known as the Temple Mount in Judaism.
The site is sacred to both Muslims and Jews and as such is a recurrent flash point in the Arab-Israeli conflict.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet voted Monday night to dismantle metal detectors set up outside al-Aqsa in response to an attack there by an Arab gunman that killed two Israeli police officers on 14 July.
Palestinians alleged Israel was trying to expand its control at the Muslim administered site, which is overseen by neighbouring Jordan. Israel has denied the accusations, saying they were necessary security measures.

>Related articles

What the peoples are proud of: Greeks proud of history, Italians proud of culture and Turks proud of their patriotism

Ankara upset by Athens-Chevron deal: “Unilateral actions south of Crete violate international law”

Enes Kanter to Protothema: “Recep Tayyip Erdogan spreads hatred against Greece and Cyprus” – What life is like as an Interpol-wanted man

erdo2
Attempts to deny Muslim men under the age of 50 access to the site for prayers led to mass protests in the contested capital.
Four Palestinians were killed in street clashes and three Israeli settlers were killed in their West Bank home in the ensuing unrest. On Sunday, two Jordanians were killed after one attacked a guard at the Israeli embassy in Amman with a screwdriver.

erdo3
“From here I make a call to all Muslims. Anyone who has the opportunity should visit Jerusalem, Al-Aqsa mosque,” Mr Erdogan said in Ankara. “Come, let’s all protect Jerusalem”, he added.
Mr Erdogan also criticised what he said was the use of “excessive” Israeli force to break up recent street protests.
While the metal detectors are being dismantled, there have been several high profile calls for Palestinians to continue protesting by praying outside the site until other measures added earlier this month such as CCTV cameras are also removed.
Jerusalem’s Supreme Islamic Committee is due to meet later on Tuesday to discuss whether the steps taken by Israel are sufficient for Muslim worshippers to return to the sacred compound.

source: independent.co.uk

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#al-Aqsa mosque#jerusalem#muslims#president#Recep Tayyip Erdogan#turkey
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Donald Trump imposes a flat 10% global tariff following Supreme Court ruling

February 20, 2026

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

February 20, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026
All News

> Culture

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

Detailed overview of the planned maintenance work

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Giannis Aggelakas: Transforms into “The Little Prince” on the Stage of Stegi

February 20, 2026

The villa where Brad Pitt is staying on Hydra: It once belonged to Kostas Boutaris, went to auction, and now belongs to famed host Stephen Colbert

February 20, 2026

262 photographs documenting the Kaisariani executions confirmed authentic – Ministry of Culture moves to acquire collection

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα