×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 21°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Video released: Defendant is fatally shot in Utah courtroom (VIDEO)

The unidentified U.S. marshal was cleared of any wrongdoing shortly after the shooting

Newsroom March 13 06:46

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Dramatic video released Monday shows a U.S. marshal firing four times as a defendant in a federal courtroom charges the witness stand and attempts to attack a shackled witness.

The 24-second footage from the 2014 gang-related racketeering trial in Salt Lake City was released after a media coalition including The Associated Press argued it was a public record in an important police use-of-force case.

The video shows defendant Siale Angilau, a 25-year-old member of the Tongan Crip gang, calmly rising from his seat beside his attorney during the witness’s testimony. He grabs his lawyer’s pen.

As someone yells, “whoa, whoa, whoa” but before any officers could react, Angilau sprints toward the witness and leaps onto the stand, wielding the pen with his right arm cocked.

The witness jumps back as Angilau falls feet-first over the front of the witness stand. That’s when the unidentified U.S. marshal shoots Angilau four times.

A woman cries out in horror while other law enforcement officers in suits run toward the witness stand. Angilau’s defense attorney jumps under a desk; prosecutors stand in shock.

“Drop the pen. Drop the pen out of your hand,” yells an officer standing over Angilau.

As U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell is escorted out of the courtroom, someone calls 911 at the end of the released video.

Angilau was fatally wounded in the incident.

The unidentified U.S. marshal was cleared of any wrongdoing shortly after the shooting. Lynzey Donahue, a spokeswoman for the Marshals Service, said the agency plans to issue a statement later Monday.

The Department of Justice wanted the video kept under seal over concerns it could lead to retaliatory gang violence. Faces of the judge, attorneys and jurors are blurred out. The agency didn’t immediately respond to a phone call and email requesting comment.

U.S. District Judge John Dowdell dismissed the Angilau’s family’s wrongful-death suit Friday, citing the video as proof that the U.S. marshal — referred to as Jane Doe in his ruling — acted reasonably. The family argued Angilau was armed only with a pen and the four shots fired were excessive.

“Having carefully reviewed the video of Mr. Angilau’s swift flight from counsel table, his vault over the witness stand with pen in hand, and his attempt to violently attack the shackled witness, the court has little difficulty determining that (Jane) Doe’s use of force to immediately stop Angilau’s attack was objectively reasonable under the totality of the circumstances,” Dowdell wrote.

The Angilau family attorney, Bob Skyes, didn’t immediately respond to a phone call and email requesting comment Monday. He has previously said after seeing the video that the marshal “panicked” when other methods could have been used to subdue Angilau.

Angilau was one of 17 people named in a 2010 indictment accusing Tongan Crip members of assault, conspiracy, robbery and weapons offenses. He was the last defendant in the case to stand trial, with previous defendants being sentenced to 10 to 30 years in prison.

A mistrial was declared after the shooting.

The media coalition including the AP fought for several years with government attorneys to have the video released publicly, arguing that the shooting raised questions about police use of force and upholding the principle of open courts.

>Related articles

Trump’s “digital lockdown” in Beijing: Why he was forced to leave his phone on Air Force One for two days

“It was an incredible visit”: Few victories, one warning, and plenty of flattery in the two-day Trump–Xi meeting (videos-photos)

Trump on tea with Xi Jinping in the inner sanctum of China’s leadership: “We solved problems others could not”

Department of Justice attorneys said the media organizations wanted the video to “sell newspapers.”

Source: mercurynews

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#court#footage#gang#shot#usa#Utah#video#weapon#witness
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Everything that changes with the new spatial planning framework for hotels, Airbnb, and land uses in 19 questions and answers

May 18, 2026

Alexis Tsipras to announce his new party on May 26, according to his post

May 18, 2026

International Museum Day 2026: Free admission and exciting events at museums across Greece

May 18, 2026

New sell-off in markets after Trump’s threats toward Iran: Asian markets fall, oil rises, fears over inflation and pressure on stocks and bonds

May 18, 2026

Checks in 90 countries on deposits, POS systems, real estate, social media, and assets by the AADE for Greek tax evasion

May 18, 2026

Mitsotakis speaks about elections in 2027 (and means it) without internal party tensions, new ND secretary “locked in”

May 18, 2026

Erdogan is legislating even the maps of his imagination, fully adopting the concept of casus belli

May 17, 2026

Fire caused by a drone attack at the Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi

May 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα