×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 26°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Fighter from the Turkish backed FSA kills own sister on camera, gets away with it

"Honour" killing video shows the plight of Syrian women

Newsroom November 13 12:49

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Kalashnikov in hand, the man looks into the camera. He stands over a terrified girl, who is pleading for her life.

“Make sure we can see both your faces,” a voice orders.

Behind the shaky camera, another one goads the gunman: “Go ahead, Bashar – cleanse your honour.”

Without another word, a flurry of bullets is fired into Rasha Bseis’s body. It takes nine agonizing seconds for her to die.

Rasha had been murdered on camera by her brother, Bashar Bseis, condemned by rumours that she had committed adultery, for which the punishment – in her brother’s eyes – was death.

Even in a war as long and bloody as Syria’s, the execution, shared thousands of times on social media, shocked the Syrian community. The events unfolded after a scorned suitor had posted images of Rasha online. She was dragged from her home in a camp just 2km from Turkey’s border and shot by a soldier it trained and equipped – a fighter enlisted in the Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army.

“What [Bseis] did was not an ethic of the Free Syrian Army and is contrary to the principles of our revolution,” Mustafa Sejari, a spokesman for the FSA, told the Guardian, adding that an investigation was underway and that a military court in Jarabulus had issued a warrant for Bseis.

Weeks later, however, an arrest has yet to be made, and there are fears that, as an FSA fighter, Bseis will never be held to account.

“These are people who see no shame in killing the girl, but actually believe it’s what washes away the shame she has brought on the whole family,” says exiled Syrian writer Loubna Mrie. “An innocent girl is dead because some guy posted her pictures on Facebook.”

(Turkish civil society organization Kish Malek released a graphic of Rasha Bsesis captioned “crime of no honour”)

While not unique to the Middle East, “honour” killings are a problem deeply rooted in Syrian society, “and not exclusive to one area or sect or faction”, says Mrie.

Even before the war began in 2011, women’s rights groups in Syria estimated that 300 women were killed each year by male relatives, and numbers have escalated during the crisis. Until 2009, killers were allowed to walk free if they justified the act as motivated by honour. The government repealed the law, replacing it with a mere two-year maximum sentence.

“I remember I was nine years old the first time I saw a video of a guy smashing his sister’s skull with a stone while the whole village watched and cheered,” says Mrie.

>Related articles

In Nicosia, Kyriakos Pierrakakis for Eurogroup, ECOFIN: housing and the impact of the Middle East crisis on the agenda

Dendias: Ukraine owes a big apology for the drone, I am not among those who have believed the narrative of “calm waters”

Israel considers closing its consulate in Constantinople

Such killings are meant to seal the matter, never to be spoken of again – perpetuating a culture of silence that functions to protect the killer.

Women on all sides of Syria’s war are targeted. When violence broke out in 2011, a campaign of mass rape by Assad’s soldiers was perniciously effective in both oppressing communities and provoking defections to the loosely formed Free Syrian Army.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#brother#executed#Free Syrian Army (FSA)#Honour Killing#isis#islam#islamic expansionism#Middle East#muslims#Saria#sister#syria#turkey
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Zakharova on U.S. prosecution of Raul Castro: “We will continue to provide support to Cuba”

May 21, 2026

Meningitis confirmed in student hospitalized in Rio

May 21, 2026

Mytilineos: Metlen enters its new growth phase from a position of strength, EBITDA target €2 billion

May 21, 2026

In Nicosia, Kyriakos Pierrakakis for Eurogroup, ECOFIN: housing and the impact of the Middle East crisis on the agenda

May 21, 2026

The “X-ray” of the operation in Crete: Three families, 76 defendants, cocaine trafficking, illegal subsidies, weapons and antiquities

May 21, 2026

Search efforts continue for missing 25-year-old mountaineer on Mount Olympus

May 21, 2026

From Sparta, Mitsotakis: “We will not risk the country’s stability for science-fiction promises”

May 21, 2026

An anesthesiologist at the Agioi Anargyroi Hospital asked for a €150 “envelope” (bribe) from a patient – Georgiadis: He will be removed from the NHS

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα