×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

A dart in a boy’s eye may have unleashed this legendary massacre 350 years ago

Massacre at Agaligmiut

Newsroom April 22 04:48

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Archaeologists have uncovered a 350-year-old massacre in Alaska that occurred during a war that may have started over a dart game. The discovery reveals the gruesome ways the people in a town were executed and confirms part of a legend that has been passed down over the centuries by the Yup’ik people.

A recent excavation in the town of Agaligmiut (which today is often called Nunalleq) has uncovered the remains of 28 people who died during the massacre and 60,000 well-preserved artifacts.

Agaligmiut had a large interconnected complex that was designed to make defense easier, said Rick Knecht and Charlotta Hillerdal, both archaeology lecturers at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland who are leading the team that is excavating the site. “We found that it had been burned down and the top was riddled with arrow points,” Knecht told Live Science.

>Related articles

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

Trump on Iran: Either we’ll finish it or they will sign an agreement

Israel considers closing its consulate in Constantinople

Some of the 28 people found “had been tied up with grass rope and executed,” said Knecht, adding that “they were face down and some of them had holes in the back of their skulls from [what] looks like a spear or an arrow.”

When exactly the massacre occurred is not certain, though Knecht said the complex was constructed sometime between A.D. 1590 and 1630. It was destroyed by an attack and fire sometime between 1652 and 1677, he added.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Student with meningitis symptoms intubated at the University Hospital of Patras

May 21, 2026

Major police operation by the Hellenic Police is underway in Crete over drugs and illegal OPEKEPE subsidies — the four families and the phone call that exposed them

May 21, 2026

Name day calendar today (21/5) – Constantine and Helen: A major feast in Orthodoxy, who celebrates

May 21, 2026

Today’s unveiling of Karystianou’s party: “Hope,” instructions to collaborators, and a surprise guest

May 21, 2026

Greece enters summer strongly with a 9.3% increase in Airbnb demand (tables)

May 21, 2026

Family left Britain and moved permanently to Lefkada: “We spend less and live much better”

May 21, 2026

Brake on new wind farms with the new spatial plan for renewables: Cyclades excluded, restrictions on islands, mountain peaks above 1,200 meters, and protected areas

May 21, 2026

Gas smell in Attica: What the new data analysis and the map of “suspicious” areas show

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα